Baking Strips On Pans With Angled Sides

Decorating By Joy2501 Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm by twinsmake5

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know if there is any point in using the baking strips on these pans? They don't touch the pan all around, so I am not sure if they work. Would freezing the pan be an alternative? As I understand it, the baking strips keep the walls of the pan cool, so that the cake doesn't cook faster on the edges, which is what makes we wonder if freezing or chilling the pan would help.

11 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 12

Chilling the pan probably wont' have much impact. Wrapping, even though it doesn't touch completely will still be some help.

You can also use an inverted flower nail as a heating core. that will also help even baking.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 12

I use these binder clips from the office supply, they fasten much easier, stay on very well and hold the baking strips much closer to the pans.
LL

Joy2501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joy2501 Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #4 of 12

Binder clips - what a great idea!! Those little pin thingies have been irritating me no end!

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I use these binder clips from the office supply, they fasten much easier, stay on very well and hold the baking strips much closer to the pans.

I use these all the time, but I would like to know how do you keep the cake mix from baking pass the part of the clip that's down inside the pan. My experience has been that it leaves indents on the edge of the cake depending upon how many you use. I know that I can just cover it with icing. but this really bother me when that happens. thumbsdown.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:24am
post #6 of 12

I used the bake even strips on the beleved pan and they came out flat.

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #7 of 12

I use these strips on all my cake pans (butter cakes). For the baking results and easiest cakes to frost, I suggest straight sided pans, but if all you have are the sloped sided one, they will work fine with the strips, just stretch them to fit. I secure them closed with a staple or two, which I find holds the strips closer to the pans sides. In the old days bakers would soak old bath towels and wrap those around the cake pans (sitting on a large sheet pan or cookies sheet). I never have to level the tops of my layers when I use them.

veejaytx Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:48am
post #8 of 12

Somerset, I don't have too much problem with the clips getting into the cake, but I do try to angle the clips away as much as possible. Could it be that the ones you are using are too big? Mine are about an inch and a quarter, the smaller ones (3/4 inch) are not big enough, but these seem to be okay. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerset

I use these all the time, but I would like to know how do you keep the cake mix from baking pass the part of the clip that's down inside the pan.

I dont' put the clip inside the pan ... I clip it to the baking strip only. I can attach it like I do with paper (I use the teeny tiny ones so it's pretty easy to fold that metal clip over the baking strip between the strip and the pan) .... OR ...... just clip the baking strip so the clip is sticking out and not laying flat.

veejaytx Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:57am
post #10 of 12

Most of the "character" pans have a lip around the top, I try to attach the clip to that lip/edge to keep the baking strips as close to the shape of the pan as possible.

On regular shape pans, I do as Indydebi said, just fasten the clips to the strips themselves.

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 12

I have always wondered if the binder clips would work or if they'd melt or do something funky to my pans! Yay, they do work! That will save me many stabbed fingers dealing with those stupid pins!! Thanks to whoever asked this question!!

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 12

I threw out my baking strips! Once they were a god-send, now they're awaiting a new use. When I bake the cake, I do my best to level the batter in the pan and always, always bake @325. When the cake comes out of the oven and is still very warm - not hot! - take you clean hands and press down on the top of the cake to achieve a level top. This is a tip from Di's Cakes and I understand it has been handed down through generations. It works and works well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%