Wilton's New 10-Pc. Gum Paste Set

Decorating By LadyMike Updated 22 May 2008 , 11:28am by mellormom

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:50am
post #1 of 34

Has anyone seen this yet? Have you bought it? Have you used it yet? Do you like it? Just wondering. icon_rolleyes.gif

I saw it in one store for $29.99, and then again at Michaels for $19.99. icon_confused.gif Is it worth it?

I'm not real sure what some of the tools are for. dunce.gif

With all of these new things coming out, do you think Wilton might be listening, and maybe going to offer some more advanced classes? icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm speculating here. Does anyone know anything? detective.gif Wilton Instructors? tapedshut.gif It sure would be nice if they would do something like that. I, like many others, learn by seeing something done, and then doing it. birthday.gif

I remember how excited everyone was about the NEW Fondant & Gumpaste classes. thumbs_up.gif And then how disappointed a lot of people were. icon_cry.gif

Could they possibly be listening now? icon_confused.gif These are those things that make you go "hmmmm". icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I would love some feedback on these tools.

TIA
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

33 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:40am
post #2 of 34

I got the set for Mother's Day. I've used some of the tools already and I like them a lot. You can get much more delicate results than you can with the white ball tool that comes in the gumpaste class kit. I've only used them with fondant so far, and I was really impressed with what they did. They feel good in the hand too.

I was making marzipan fruit week before last and it would have been nice to have the tool that looks like a pointed star, for making the indentations in the bottom of the fruit.

The little knife was useful when I was molding fondant in candy molds. It let me pry the edges out without losing the shapes.

I do wonder if Wilton is going to come out with some better gumpaste cutters. I do use the green plastic ones all the time for fondant, but if I had metal ones to cut sharper edges, that would be much nicer.

I've never taken any of the Wilton classes. I bought the gumpaste class kit and just took it home and played with all of the stuff (I don't have good results with the ribbon cutter, it either tightens up or loosens up too much).

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:28am
post #3 of 34

I bought that set! I haven't had a real need to use it yet, but so far (even though I was just messing around) I think it rocks! It's definitely better than the little plastic, green Wilton set I was using before. icon_wink.gif I can't really compare it to the JEM, PME, or any other brand of tools because I've never used anything but Wilton. With a coupon (50% starting on the 25th), it isn't a bad buy, even if you decide to upgrade later.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:47am
post #4 of 34

Aof people use that knife. Is called a palette knife. Used a lot by Nicolas Lodge. I liked the kit and I bought it.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 34

There is a list in there that help tell you what the tools are called and I blieve what you use them for.

As far as a new class from Wilton, there has been a rumor about it, but nothing more than that for now. I wouldn't be surprised if Wilton wasn't working on something more to involve their new tools.

And I personally think the F/GP class was a dissappoint me to some because their ideas for the class and Wilton's ideas were very different. Wilton meant the class to be a basic class. Maybe because they are working on something that involves more.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 34

I bought it yesterday but haven't opening it yet. I think the uses of the tools is written on back of the box. Can't wait to use them... but I'd have to get off of this site...!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 34

Although I have stacks of tools, I couldn't resist buying that set, it is very good. Wiltons is under new ownership & it does look like a lot of things are going to get better. I advise all of you to go to Michael's with a coupon as I am almost certain they have under priced that item so as it is a really great deal...... get going.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:07am
post #8 of 34

Ok you guys. You convinced me. I went to Michaels and bought it, even without the coupon. I can't wait to get started with it. I think I'm going to like it. Thank you all for responding.

Texas_Rose - What a nice gift and a great idea for a gift! icon_biggrin.gif

OK - I'm not a WMI, and I'm not trying to sell anything, but just as an FYI - I took all of the Wilton classes and it really was lots of fun. Everyone was pretty much on the same level and it was great to see the progress each person made as we went through the different classes together. Also, the comradery - we gained friendships, partnering, and even mentors. icon_smile.gif

I think Wilton expected the instructors to fit way too much into just four two-hour classes except for the first class of F/GP. But that was a big-time misunderstanding as TexasSugar pointed out. When I took the classes, we did think that it was going to be the "4th" course so when it was nothing but a refresher in the first lesson, it was a little disappointing. icon_confused.gif

Oh and BTW, I don't think anybody gets good results from the ribbon cutter. icon_rolleyes.gifthumbsdown.gificon_lol.gif

amia1024 - A big THANKS for the "heads-up" on the 50% off coupon next week! thumbs_up.gif It always helps when you can plan ahead. I'd love to have one of the metal sets, if they make such a thing, but I think the price tag may be waaaay too big for me to justify the price yet. icon_rolleyes.gif When I get famous like Nicholas Lodge, or Scott Clark Wooley, or Toba Garrett, or even Duff..... icon_cool.gif Oops, excuse me! I was off in LA-LA land dreaming. icon_lol.gif

tonedna/Edna - Thank you for the info. And, if you liked it, and it will help me to make cakes like some of yours, WOW!!! That's good enough for me! icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar - There is a list of them on the back of the box (as susgene said) and they are color-coded as to what they are called and what they are used for.

I really hope that the rumor is true. I'd love to know more about some of the things I see on here and in magazines, etc. It would make sense for them (Wilton) to show how the tools are used. icon_confused.gif Then in return, more people will want to buy the new items on their new product line because they'll know how to use them. Besides that, I would love to go to some more classes. icon_wink.gif

And, you're 100% right. The F/GP classes were meant to be basics in F&GP; nothing more, nothing less. icon_cry.gificon_sad.gif But you know, even the WMI was kept in the dark for a while, shhh.gif and so many "assumed" (and we know what happens when you "assume" anything icon_redface.gif ) that since it was a F/GP class, that it had to be "class 4". icon_rolleyes.gif Rumors were rampant.

I hope that if they're planning another class, or 2 or 3, that Wilton will be a little more up-front with it this time. icon_mad.gif With what superstar is saying about Wilton being under new management, who knows what will happen! thumbs_up.gifbirthday.gifparty.gif

susgene - This site IS really ADDICTING, isn't it?!?!? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

superstar - You know, I wondered why so many new Wilton things are being released all of a sudden. icon_eek.gif I mean, every year they come out with a few new things, but it really seems like they are updating, upgrading, and adding a lot of things this year. icon_confused.gif

When did Wilton go under new management? It almost sounds like you might possibly have an inside connection. detective.gif Maybe? Oh wow! Does this mean the end for the number one worst-tasting fondant in the world? icon_razz.gif Any other little tidbits of info you might be able to share??? icon_lol.gif

Again, thank you all for responding. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to address each of you. Friends in CC are VERY special!

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #9 of 34

I've been taking classes with Wilton and am in my 3rd class. I took 1 and then Fondant and Gum Paste and now I'm taking 2. Coming in with NO experience at all, I'm thrilled with what the classes have been teaching me. BUT I have to admit that I already want to learn more than they can offer so I hope you guys are right about them getting more advanced.

And the Michael's that is by me honors ACMoore Coupons. The best part is you can print them out online and then present them at Michael's. It's good for 1 item at a time and is usually 40 or 50% off. I've gotten probably 90% of my supplies with these coupons at Mcihael's and ACMoore. I'd never be able to afford it otherwise.

Oh yea... they just re-did the Wilton Aisle at my local Michaels. They have big impression mats now. One is ivy and the other has little flowers on it. They are so cool! Now you can roll your fondant on one side and have it pick up the impression on the other and cover the whole cake with it! They have more formers too.

And don't forget the clay aisle. Where they sell Sculpey and Fimo... I've gotten tools from there also. Some neat flower cutters, molds, etc.

Happy Decorating!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 34

Thought I'd mention a very good and reasonably priced DVD by Nicholas Lodge - his ISAC DVD Catalog. He shows many of the tools used in gumpaste and fondant and explains how to use them. Very helpful - lots of information and useful tips. Global sells it or you can order directly from Nic at ISAC.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 34

Shill -

Just an FYI, ok? Please be careful with those Sculpey molds - we wrote to them a long time ago and inquired, and their response was that their products are not food-safe.

I won't tell you to not use them, it's not my business if you do or not. But if you get caught, you can be subject to local, state, and/or federal fines, so again, please be careful.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 34

Thanks for the FYI

They have a lot of neat stuff and most of the cookie cutters I've seen are metal. I have a set of sculpting tools (like Wilton's) but I haven't bought any of the molds. I know several people who have though. I did buy a metal clay press type of thing (like an extruder). Just so I could put hair on my 3D figures.

There are so many things to be careful of and pay attention to with food. It's always good to be reminded. icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 34

Wow..ladymike..you really took some time to answer everyone..Thanks for the complements..And I do like the new kit..I wish they had a course to complement it. Cause the gumpaste course is a very sad one in my opinion.
Edna

playingwithsugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #14 of 34

I looked on the wilton website, but the only gumpaste set they're showing is the old one with the plastic cutters.

Does this set look like the PME or ATECO 10 piece set?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I looked on the wilton website, but the only gumpaste set they're showing is the old one with the plastic cutters.

Does this set look like the PME or ATECO 10 piece set?

Thanks -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I took a picture of it...didn't come out great because the tools are white in a white case...ignore the cornstarch all over them too icon_biggrin.gif

The more I use them, the more I like them.
LL

tonedna Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 34

I think the packaging got me as much as the tools icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:41pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I think the packaging got me as much as the tools icon_lol.gif

Now I'm gonna have to look for the package from mine...the kids took it out so they could wrap it more easily, but the more people talk about it, the more I want to see what's written on the back icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 34

Thanks, TexasRose -

I will have to go to Michael's soon. I know the green ones are press-molded, which leaves seams that scratch the pastes. I'll have to take a closer look at these.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 34

Thanks guys! I'm sold. It's Michaels after work. thumbs_up.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #20 of 34

This is what the set looks like, but it's only $19.99 at Michael's and can be purchased for 50% off, with coupon, next week (40% this week and they had an extra 40% weekend coupon for this upcoming weekend! Is my coupon-clipping, cheapness showing? icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif). Now I'm going to go to Michael's and get my new graceful vines impression mat! icon_cool.gif
LL

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 19 May 2008 , 7:24pm
post #21 of 34

Wow!! Nice tool set, I think I might need one too! Sooo.... with all the new toys Wilton is coming out with, does any one know if the new yearbook is out already????

tonedna Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #22 of 34

The year book comes usuallyby summer..
I hope the yearbook complements the tools that they are bringing out!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #23 of 34

Do these tools have that seam from the molds that created them like the green ones do? That nasty seam leaves a mark or tears the gumpaste.

tonedna Posted 19 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #24 of 34

Well the ball tool does ...a lot less than the green ones but I figure the other tools are so neat I can deal with that one..

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Wow!! Nice tool set, I think I might need one too! Sooo.... with all the new toys Wilton is coming out with, does any one know if the new yearbook is out already????

Look for the yearbook at the end of June or first of July. icon_smile.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:46pm
post #26 of 34

You can remove any seams with fine sandpaper & then buffing. LadyMike, I wish I had inside info, I just happened to comment to the lady in Kake Kreations when I was visiting Los Angeles that Wiltons were doing much better & she told me they were under new ownership.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefgaby

Look for the yearbook at the end of June or first of July. icon_smile.gif

Anyone thinking of taking a course at Michael's in July might want to do it after all.

There's a great class discount and a free gift and it's rumored the free gift is.... *Wilton police rush in and take me away before more can be said.*

icon_wink.gif

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #28 of 34

Thanks for the info!!! Off to Michael's .... (OK, tomorrow morning ...icon_smile.gif)

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #29 of 34

My local michaels has a new gumpaste flowers class, she is teaching from the big set with the green cutters I believe, all wired flowers, I hope I can take it soon!

donnalane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnalane Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:41am
post #30 of 34

I bought the tool set at michaels about 3 wks ago and bought my mom a set for mothers day, I really, really like the tools they are very sturdy. I do alot of gumpaste figurines and flowers, and these tools work great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%