Firsttttsssss' Cake...a Few Questions

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 14 May 2008 , 7:29pm by JoAnnB

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 2

As you can see, I am new to decorating. I am working on a cake for Thursday (a trial run for a quincinera cake in June to see if I can do it!!) and I call it my cake firsts. My first topsy turvy, my first WASC, my first Choc. WASC, my first caramel cake, my first time using Bettercreme, my first time using Pastry Pride and Frostin Pride, my first time using baking strips (wonderful), my first time using a heating core (would like something different), and my first time using Jem cutters (on the agenda for today). So, I think I am going to love WASC. Must tell everyone that they were right about WASC. Not sure if I am going to like the choc. WASC yet -- used the almond flavoring -- probably should have used something else. We'll see. Love the caramel cake recipe found on CC. I baked the following cakes yesterday: 2-12", 2-10", 1-9", 3-8", 1-6" plus 1-8" and 1-10" that didn't come out -- goop!! So I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. When you have multiple pan sizes that will fit into the same oven, do you bake them together or separate? If you bake them together, how much longer do you have to bake them? Seems like they took forever and I even ended up with some crusty edges.
2. WASC instructions say to bake at 325F, but my baking charts say 350F for 35-40 min. How much longer do you have to bake at the lower temp to get the correct consistency? The WASC instructions say to not overbake. (Can you tell I am new to baking also!! )
3. I am going to cover this cake in fondant. Will Pastry Pride/Frostin Pride and Bettercreme be OK under fondant or should I only use these for filling and then use standard BC under the fondant?
4. I am doing this cake topsy turvy using bKeith's instructions. But now that I look at some of the other crooked cake instructions, I am wondering if this is a more difficult method, especially for a newbie. Anyone tried both types of instructions?

Sorry so long...thanks for your help!

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 2

I combine pan sizes all the time. I use the timing for the smaller cake as a starting point, remove the smaller one and continue the larger one.

Baking at 325 instead of 350, and using bake even strips and/or heating core, or an inverted flower nail, will allow the cake centers to bake without over-baking the edges. How much longer depends on the batter, your oven and other things. Mostly, you have to watch and smell.

I would not ice a cake with Pride or bettercreme under fondant. It is very wet and can be slippery under the fondant. It is great for fillings and regular icing. I would ice the cake with your regular icing, mostly just a crumb coat, to help hold the fondant in place.

As for which technique, I would use the one with the clearest directions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%