How Do You Get Such Clean Lines When Using Your Cutters?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:17am by DianeLM

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 6

Whenever I use a cutter on my fondant or gumpaste I have these jagged edges. I have pressed really hard. I have lightly greased it with shortening. It doesn't matter. Is it just my cutter? I only have Wilton ones. Are other brands better? After I cut something out I always have to run my finger around the edges to kind of push the "jagged-ness" back in so it looks smooth.

5 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

Whenever I use a cutter on my fondant or gumpaste I have these jagged edges. I have pressed really hard. I have lightly greased it with shortening. It doesn't matter. Is it just my cutter? I only have Wilton ones. Are other brands better? After I cut something out I always have to run my finger around the edges to kind of push the "jagged-ness" back in so it looks smooth.

Those plastic cutters do not cut as cleanly as the metal ones. I jiggle them around a bit as I press down. Also make sure your fondant/gumpaste is not too dry.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 6

In my classes, I always tell my students if you get jagged edges, simply put the paste OVER the cutter and roll with a cel pin or similar pin. This should get you a clean cut everytime icon_smile.gif I especially recommend this method when the cutter has a lot of detail in it.

Hope that helps!

Jen icon_smile.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 6

Some are just plain 'ol cheapie crappy cutters. They are made poorly and there is simply nothing you can do about it.

In those particular cases I have always manually reverted to cleaing up the edges with my exacto knife.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 6

I do what Jen said. And I also just run my finger along the cut edge to smooth it out sometimes.

HTH

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #6 of 6

Also, make sure you wipe off the cutter often during use. Fondant can accumulate on the cutter, making a mess of future cuts.

Assuming you're not using a crappy cutter icon_wink.gif , let the fondant or gumpaste sit and firm up for a few minutes. You'll get cleaner cuts.

Make sure you're cutting on a HARD surface. Not on a silpat or other cushy surface.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%