How Do I Make Gumpaste Look Shiny?

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 7 May 2008 , 5:55pm by bigmama1961

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 8

How do you get your gumpaste to shine? It is for a Darth Vader so I don't want it pearly or anything, but it looks really dull. Does anyone have any tips?

On a side note, can someone tell me what WASC is? I feel so stupid asking, but I've been trying to figure it out for a couple of weeks now. Can you tell I'm a newbie? icon_smile.gif

7 replies
jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 8

WASC = white almond sour cream cake - very yummy and popular. you can find it in the recipe section.

to make gumpaste shiny you can use confectioners glaze, or gum arabic with equal amounts of water and brush that on, you can brush shortening on the dried gumpaste but the shine will be temporary, or you can use an edible lacquer that comes in a can.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you! I happened to have some gum arabic and it did work really well. I will have to check out the WASC icon_wink.gif recipe.

Danielle

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 8

oh forgot one more, but it takes long to dry - piping gel. I read that in SCW book that he used to use to shine his gumpaste

Now I know all this from reading mostly. I've only actually used the confectioners glaze and the gum arabic by accident becuase I used to use that as glue but if you get it on wher eyou don't want it, it would end up shiny and would not take petal dusts.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 8

You steam it, very gently and not for too long. That will give gumpaste a sheen. Just hold it over a tea kettle for a quick second or two - pull it away and if you want a bit more sheen, re-steam.

Be careful as too much steam will soften and you can lose your shape. Thi is a great way to give petals that really 'velvet' look (usually its those blood red roses that look like that). You brush with dust, steam and then rebrush with dust when it's dry. HTH

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 8

There are three ways I know of to get a shiny look.
1.) Confectionerâs varnish (not to be put on anything to be eaten)
2.) Steam (temporary measure will not last forever and could melt your piece)
3.) Brush with oil, spray with Pam or piping gel (messy and color can run)

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 8

a thin coat of piping gel. icon_biggrin.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 8

THANK YOU I NEED TO KNOW THAT. THANK YOU FOR THE POST.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%