Can You Flood A Cake????

Decorating By lepaz Updated 5 May 2008 , 3:35am by lepaz

lepaz Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 6

My son wants a army man cake for his birthday and I would like to give it the camouflage look on top. I've seen some nice cakes in the Gallery and they gave me the idea of flooding the different color sections (after being outlined) like you would a cookie but maybe a little thicker. Is this possible or would it soak into the cake??? And if so, would it help to put a light layer of frosting on top first?? Thank you... icon_lol.gif

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

Sure it's possible.
It can be done w/royal OR 'creamed' b'cream (if I remember right it's called 'creamflow').
You thin the icing w/Karo syrup - usually about equal amounts (ie: 1/2C b'cream w/ 1/3 to 1/2C Karo).
Definately ice the cake as usual then put the flow on.

lepaz Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Kakeladi!!! That will help alot!

alanahodgson Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #4 of 6

There was a thread not too long ago where people were warming their buttercream to a flow consistency and then pouring over their cakes. It seemed to work pretty well for them.

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #5 of 6

Interesting you mengtion that.....I'm the one who posted that tip and it never occured to me to suggest it for this idea. Yes, it would work too. Just put a small amount of b'cream in a M.W. cup/bowl and heat for maybe 5-10 seconds....Yes, I said secondsicon_smile.gif
I just remembered something about using the 'creamflow'. You have to outline w/*royal* icing and let it dry (take a few minutes) before adding the flow. That would be where ever you want to stop the flow - make an outline (complete circle) of royal.

lepaz Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #6 of 6

Thank you Ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%