Help! What Would You Buy? Mixer & More.

Business By alidpayne Updated 5 May 2008 , 9:24pm by Melonie1005

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 3 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 20

OK, I need help! I have around $450 to spend on cake "stuff". I used to do cakes for a bakery I worked at quite a few years ago. I haven't done much these last few years. I don't have a lot of equipment of my own. I do have a nice set of round pans, and I bought a nice set of square pans last week. I have been acumulating a lot of small things over the last couple of months, so I have lots of colors, a few petal & luster dusts, a pretty good sized collection of tips & icing bags, gumpaste tools ect.

I am trying to decide what I want to spend this money on. I would like to do this as a business later on when I have got some practice in and improved my skills. What items have you found that you cannot live without?

I would really like to buy a mixer while I have this extra money. I have a cheap stand mixer, and it works ok, but I know I would have better luck with a better model. I don't want to buy a huge one, and have narrowed my choice down to two models of Kitchenaid. One is the 5qt Artisan, the other is the 6qt professional 600. I am really confused though. The pro model is a qt larger, has 250 more watts on the motor, and everything else looks the same. Why is it $80 cheaper? Help! lol

Anything else you can think of that you love love love! please share. My birthday is two weeks away, so there is a distinct possiblity that I can make another large purchase then.

19 replies
nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 3 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 20

Hands down get the 6Qt Pro, especially if it is cheaper! I used to have the Artisan and it was fine, but it would struggle on larger batches. The 6Qt is amazing!

I don't know where you were looking at mixers, but there are 2 reasons why it may be cheaper. I think they have discontinued the Pro and come out w/a new model. I have seen some great deals on this mixer online recently. If I didn't already have one I would have gotten one w/the great prices I've seen! The only other reason would be that it's a refurbished model?

daranaco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daranaco Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 20

In addition to the mixer I would recommend the Agbay leveler. Especially if you want to make this a business in the future.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 20

agbay leveler...I WANT ONE! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 20

Possibly an airbrush? Also, I would recommend getting some sheet pans (I use my 12x18 a lot. Also, get a 9x13 and an 11x15). If you are planning on working with fondant, I would get some clay tools (sculpey at Michaels makes cheap things that work well) and cutters (flower, but also circles and squares). You definetly want a turn table. I can not live without mine. I have 2 of the $10 ones from Michaels and they are great and needed. You might want to invest in some seperator kits. I'm sure there is more, but I can't think of it right now. HTH

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 20

As far as stand mixers, I have a Viking 800 watt and love it. I've burned out about 5 hand mixers prior to buying this mixer and this is definitely extremely powerful and reliable. I don't remember how much it was exactly, but I believe it was around $450 and it came with a blender attachment. I don't know how I did things before without it!

alidpayne Posted 3 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 20

I appreciate all the replies so far. I have SO much to learn, and you guys have already taught me tons.

I was looking at the mixers on Lowe's website, because I work at Lowe's & thus get an employee discount. lol So I know it is not refurbished or used or anything. I was thinking the pro would be better (and a little bigger) but the cheaper price was really throwing me off. Maybe they are on sale right now or something. I will talk to the appliance guy on Monday and find out. If it is being discontinued, he may have the info on the new model already, and I can decide if I want to buy this one or wait for the new. (I will most likely go ahead and buy the 6qt now though).

I really want the agbay levelor also. I may wait & see if Santa brings me one though. I don't know. If I buy one now I will have to get the single blade, and if I wait, I just KNOW Santa will bring me the double blade. lol In fact, he told me so last week. he he

I have quite a few cutters and lots of sculpting tools. That was the first thing I went out and bought when I started practicing. Fondant was my favorite thing to do before, so I was really itching to try gumpaste. I could use some basic shapes though. I definately need some sheet pans. I hadn't even thought of that!

What kind of airbrush are you guys using? I looked at the KopyKake one, and it seems really expensive. Is it really worth the money? I know Harbour Freight has a compressor for $45 and there are lots of places to get reasonably priced guns. If I knew that the KopyKake was really worth the extra money I would be tempted. Airbrushing is something else I have zero experience with and would love to learn.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming!

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 3 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidpayne

I was looking at the mixers on Lowe's website, because I work at Lowe's & thus get an employee discount. lol So I know it is not refurbished or used or anything. I was thinking the pro would be better (and a little bigger) but the cheaper price was really throwing me off. Maybe they are on sale right now or something. I will talk to the appliance guy on Monday and find out. If it is being discontinued, he may have the info on the new model already, and I can decide if I want to buy this one or wait for the new. (I will most likely go ahead and buy the 6qt now though).

I would go ahead and get the 6qt. I looked at the new one and nothing struck me as had to have, especially if I could get the current one at a great price.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 20

I have a Cuisinart 7QT you can get it at Linens N Things and use the 20% coupon, they also except competitors coupons. I know Kitchenaide is the more known mixer that "everyone" has to have, but what I really liked about mine is that it's got a timer and a fold button. I have a tendency to over due it when I fold in ingredients. I love my mixer to death and will most likely be getting another one as soon as I have the funds.

As far as the must haves, pretty much everything is a must have...lol Make sure you have enough bags and couplers as well as tips. Duplicate on as many of them as you can!

As far as an airbrush if you want I'll find out the info from where I got mine, it's brand new from a company on ebay and it was $90 total including the compressor. Also look at getting a printer and edible ink. Again got my epson C88 online cheap and get the refill cartridges from ebay buy the ink from copycake along with the icing sheets. I charge $10 for an edible image and everyone loves them.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 3 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 20

If I had $400 to spend on a mixer, I'd be buying the Delonghi from Costco.com. It's a 7 qt, 1000 watts and comes with extra attachments (including an extra bowl!!!). The $399 price includes shipping.

Can you tell I've been drooling over that puppy for a few weeks? I've ALMOST got DH convinced... icon_twisted.gif

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 4 May 2008 , 8:03am
post #11 of 20

Rhienn- I just ordered the Delonghi from costco tonight! Hooray for the stimulus checks!! lol

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #13 of 20

You should get an ateco silicone mat. And a heavy duty rolling pin.

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:36am
post #14 of 20

I heartily recommend the KA Pro 6qt! Love mine!!! Does three cake mixes or three batches of buttercream all at once. icon_smile.gif Takes MMF like a dream. Also does doughs very nicely. It does sound like a small jet engine taking off in your kitchen, but very heavy-duty and wonderful. LOL (Got mine for my wedding. Can you tell I love it??)

I also recommend the tilting turntable, as many extra couplers, bags, and commonly used tips as you can get, if you don't already have a ton of duplicates, and some sort of organizational set-up, if you don't already have that part covered. icon_smile.gif

I'm drooling over the Agbay now... you people are evil! LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #15 of 20

I have two DeLonghi 7 qt.s it's a good mixer, but it's really LOUD.

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakebox

Rhienn- I just ordered the Delonghi from costco tonight! Hooray for the stimulus checks!! lol

I have mixer envy. icon_lol.gif

alidpayne Posted 4 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Don't forget one of these, girlfriend: http://cgi.ebay.com/TRB-for-KitchenAid-Mixer-imperial-black-grey-pasta-bowl_W0QQitemZ230248266596QQihZ013QQcategoryZ20679QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You don't want to not be stylin' LOL

LOL... my husband saw me looking at that and was a little too excited. If they make skulls I'm in trouble. lol

I hate this a lot. I need about a million dollars! lol I REALLY want the KA 6qt. I also REALLY want the agbay. lol And now I find myself REALLY wanting an edible image printer setup. GOSH!

I will have to pick one of those three things... I am also looking at a storage system of some sort because I have stuff everywhere right now.

I appreciate all the advice so far!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 4 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #18 of 20

I have to agree with the Agbay!!

I personally like my 5qt tilt Artisan, I had a larger Pro KA mixer that had the bowl lift and I personally didn't like it. I like to take the bowl out to throughly scrape the sides and bottom and I found it to be a pain with the bowl lift model (had to take the beater off to do this, whereas the tilt head model I don't).

But that's just me, I grew up on tilt head KA's so it's what I'm used to!!

I have 2 5qt Artisans and love them! You may also want to check Amazon.com as well, sometimes you can find a better deal there with mixers.

alidpayne Posted 5 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 20

Ok, so I ordered a printer and all the things I need to set it up for edible images. I have a cake to do at the end of the month, and I was going to have to find someone to print some images for it, so this will be even better.

I also orderd.... drumroll please.... the Agbay!!! Yay! lol I only got the single blade one, Santa said he would still bring me the two blade model for christmas. I feel quite sure that If I want to sell the single then I will be able to. LOL

I am pretty sure I am going to get the KA 6qt for my birthday next week. I did some research at work today, and we are selling them BELOW COST. I have no idea why. I called the company to get the cost because I thought the employee pricing in the computer was wrong. The cost the vendor gave me was higher than the current retail of $319.99.

It feels like Christmas here! lol. I will go crazy waiting on my toys. Now I just have to figure out what pans and so forth I want. You guys are awesome!

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #20 of 20

I have a kitchenaid and my sweet DH just bought me a 5.5 quart Cuisinart for my birthday. I love them both, but the Cuisinart is a little loud, I love the fact that it has a timer and auto shut off. Hope you find one you will love to bake with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%