Nyc Trip Ideas??

Lounge By TheDomesticDiva Updated 12 May 2008 , 10:28pm by michellenj

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 1 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 10

I had one of these threads a while back before the server crash, so now I'm revisiting this topic!

My husband and I are planning a 2 night trip into NYC for our 5-year anniversary this summer. We were planning to stay at The New Yorker Hotel, but found out that it's being sued for bedbugs and its under renovation as well, so we've found a new place we are looking at instead. It's called The Muse. Has anyone stayed here that can recommend or not? I've found nothing but fantastic reviews for it and it seems to be in a good location and looks great online!

My main question is for restaurants!! We like anything pretty much! I'd like at least one place where we get to dress up. We don't mind splurging for meals so long as its not insane! (Insane would be over $150 for our meal...I'd prefer to not go over that.) Other than that, any local favorites would be appreciated! Any ideas?? icon_smile.gif

Carrie

9 replies
kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 4 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 10

My DH and I LOVE NYC! We haven't been since officially tying the knot and having kids, but we made 3 trips between 1997 and 2001. Our last trip was in October 2001 - yes I know, 37 days after 9/11. We went not knowing what to expect, but it turned out to be the best trip we had. Everybody was so happy to see any tourists at all and we had a fabulous time!. Our splurge (dress up fancy) meal was at Tavern on the Green and it was amazing! I remember a great meal, but I really remember the vanilla souffle! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know if it's still there, but there was a really good Thai restaurant named Topaz around 57th (I think), not too far off of Times Square. It was a very tiny place (our last trip, we ended sitting REALLY close to this couple on their first date), but they had some dish in garlic sauce that my DH kept referring to as "meat candy".

I would also recommend stopping in at the Leonidas candy shop on Madison Avenue (somewhere within a block or two of St. Patrick's Cathedral). They ship everything in weekly from Belgium, and there buttercream pralines (truffles) are truly divine. You can't go wrong with the Manon Blanc...it's coffee flavored. My DH just got me a box for my birthday. Needless to say they only lasted a week!

Even though it's been a few years, I could go on and on... Hope this helps a little!

Karen

TheDomesticDiva Posted 4 May 2008 , 3:00am
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much, Karen!! One thing I was looking for was a fantastic candy shop!!! icon_smile.gif

jobartwo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobartwo Posted 5 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 10

I LOVE to visit Chelsea Market when I am there. It is in the Hell's Kitchen section and where the Food Network studios are. They have a couple of neat cupcake/cake shops that I like to visit.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks!! I'll look into it! icon_biggrin.gif

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:30am
post #6 of 10

I personally have never been to NYC but my hubby has recently and LOVED LOVED LOVED Grinnage Village (sp?). Also my cousin recommended the Hersey store yummy!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #7 of 10

We live about 45 minutes north of NYC. Although I haven't been (but I do plan to go) to Canal Street, I hear it's the place to go for knock off items such as Gucci and Channel (sp?). I must say that every time I turn on the news they are talking about a bedbug problem over there. Now you have to be careful on the subway cause they are creeping onto peoples clothes, purses, etc... I'll try to research some places to eat. For sure get some NYC pizza. thumbs_up.gif

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #8 of 10

If you want to try something eclectic, definitely try out WD-50, which is on 50 clinton street. I ate there in March on a mini-vacation and it was definitely an experience! I'm a foodie so I travel and eat my way across america and I would reccommend it if you are adventerous with food. For my friend and I, after pigging out our bill was 147.00 plus tip, BUT, here's what we got:

1 free mouche bouche (sp?) each
1 appetizer each, including corned duck and fois gras
1 entree, including the super expensive kobe wagyu beef
1 free mini-dessert
1 dessert each
2 beers
1 bottle of pellegrino
and a box of seriously good sesame things

It's definitely something different, you dont have to dress up dress up, you wear a nice shirt, nice skirt, and it's not uncommon to see business suits at night. The restaurant is beautiful, the bathroom mural is gorgeous and they change silverware after EVERY course... And the waitstaff is amazing.

That would definitely be the splurge meal, but if you're adventurous, you'll love it.

www.wd-50.com

Jasmine

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 10

Canal St. and Chinatown is where you go for fake purses, Tiffany jewelry, and Chanel sunglasses. You can't miss them. The Peking Duck House in Chinatown is really good. Then walk over to Mulberry St. (Little Italy) for cannoli for dessert, and Soho for shopping. One of Martha Stewart's fave restaurants is Balthazar, try it, or the Mesa Grill, Bobby Flay's. There is no shortage of awesome restaurants in NYC.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 10

Canal St. and Chinatown is where you go for fake purses, Tiffany jewelry, and Chanel sunglasses. You can't miss them. The Peking Duck House in Chinatown is really good. Then walk over to Mulberry St. (Little Italy) for cannoli for dessert, and Soho for shopping. One of Martha Stewart's fave restaurants is Balthazar, try it, or the Mesa Grill, Bobby Flay's. There is no shortage of awesome restaurants in NYC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%