Dried Fondant

Decorating By SugarMama602 Updated 1 May 2008 , 7:36pm by SugarMama602

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm a newbie and I think I may have cut some fondant shapes a little too early to put on the cake and now they are dried out. How long before the service of the cake should I cut the fondant shapes and attach them? Or if I do cut them a day or so before, do they need to be kept in a Tupperware container, or something like that?

I've gone back through some other topics and haven't found the answer.

Thanks!

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 8

Welcome to Cake Central. It sort of depends on what kind of shapes you have. If you are making something like flat diamonds that will be flat on the top of the cake, it is not problem if they dry out.

It it needs to curve, it can break if you try to apply it. You might be able to soften them a bit. lay them flat, cover them with plastic wrap, and lay a moist towel over them.

When you store them for several days, an airtight container will cause them to melt and stick together. Cover them loosely, and keep them away from dirt and light.

If you need them very soft, the day before is about as early as you can go. otherwise it generally doesn't matter if they dry out.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

Hello,
Are they flat cut out shapes or figures?. If they are flat cut out shapes they shouldnt dry cracked(if thats what you meant) perhaps the fondant was to dry before you started. If they are figures you should use gum paste as it doesnt crack.
Lynne

SugarMama602 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you, both. They are flat shapes, so I'm not concerned about them breaking. But they do look a little crack-y around the edges. I used Wilton pre-made fondant. How do I moisten it slightly?

And if someone gets that dried out piece of fondant on their slice of cake, won't it taste/feel gross?

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 8

the only way to keep fondant soft is to cover it with cling wrap so if you want to keep them soft but flat cover a piece of card with cling wrap put on your shapes and put another layer of cling wrap over it. however the shapes can be used when hardened as long as you dont try to wrap them around a round cake if they have dried flat (they will crack). if i don't mind my fondant drying out i make things upto a week in advance as long as they are kept dust free theres no problem

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

Can you steam the top like you do flowers? to smooth and soften? Or perhaps paint the tops? O ryou could gently rub a thin, thin coating of Crisco to get rid of the dry look....as for people eating them, I realize fondant is "edible" (notice I used quotes icon_smile.gif ) but I really hope people don't actually eat and expect fondant/gumpaste decorations to taste good.

I am not talking about a cake covered in fondant but the thinner dried decorations.

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 8

Put some crisco on your hands when you work the fondant until its nice and soft and not dry. You shouldnt need to put any on after they have dried.
Lynne

SugarMama602 Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!! I'll keep ALL of it in mind!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%