Using Piping Gel For Water.

Decorating By Susie43727 Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 9:18am by Susie43727

Susie43727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie43727 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 6

I have a quick question. I'm doing a beach themed cake and I was going to use piping gel tinted blue for water. Do I put parchement paper down first so the cake doesnt get soggy(they are not getting the cake until tomorrow) or do I just put the gel on the cake. I didn't know if it would make the cake soggy. I thought if it did i could put down the parchement paper and they could just lift it off the icing before they ate it. Sorry if its a stupid question I just have not dealt with piping gel alot. Thank you for your time. Susie

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 6

You can apply the blue gell over icing or fondant. It starts to dry a bit quite soon, so it does not soak into anything.

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 6

I do this all the time. In fact I have 2 cakes that I have yet to load into my photos but will do today that have blue piping gel for water. I also like to add some pixie dust for sparkle jsut to jazz it up a bit. I do completely frost the cake and then place it on the fondant and/or BC. I hope this helps.

Susie43727 Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you very much for your quick responses. I'm getting ready to decorate it now and you replied in perfect timing. Thanks and again and have a great day!! Susie

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Apr 2008 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 6

I might be too late but I highly recommend that you apply it over a coating of very light blue fondant or buttercream. Piping gel is see thru and you will see the brownish tinge of the cake thru the gel.

Also, one lesson I learned the hard way, use very, very little blue dye. Coloring goes a long way in piping gel and you can always use more if you need to.

I will upload my swimming pool cake for you to see. I almost used too much blue in this one.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1215190.html

Susie43727 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:18am
post #6 of 6

WOW!! That cake is just adorable. I would love to learn to make people and animals like you do. I bought playdough to practice with but everytime I make them they look awful. Thanks for your suggestions I really do appreciate everyones help. CC and the members are the best!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%