Advice For Piping This Onto The Sides Of A Square Cake

Decorating By Antgirl Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm by lorijom

Antgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antgirl Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 7

I'm hoping this pdf attachment will work. (It's a very small file with just a few words, so don't be afraid to open it up if you have Adobe Acrobat to view pdf files.) Can anyone give me advice for how to pipe these words in this font onto the sides of a square cake? What type of icing, what tip, how to get the pattern onto the cake?
PLEASE please!!
Thanks,
Susan

6 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 7

You could try a small petal tip and see how you like the looks of that for this font. The other way is to use a round tip but you would have to increase pressure when you want thicker parts in the letters. You can pin prick the letter design onto the sides of the cake if you need a piping guide.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 7

Could you do an edible image and place it on the side of the cake that way? Gorgeous font btw - where did you find it?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 7

If you have the knowledge/ability on the computer print in mirror image (backwards) exactly in the size you want the words to be.
Place on cookie sheet; place plastic wrap over and 'draw' the lettering; freeze a short time then place the plastic wrap w/letters on the cake. It should make an impression in the icing. If any icing sticks to the cake pick it off w/a pin or toothpick. Now 'draw' over the imprint on the cake.
This should work if you do one word at a time.

The pin-prick method could work also. I find it is as much or more work than the above. You have to put the paper on a piece of styro; using a p in prick holes thru all the letters. Now press that onto your crusted b'cream - it should leave an imprint of the holes in the icing; then trace it w/your icing.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 7

I sometimes write with calligraphy and I use a #44 tip. You hold the tip the same as you would a calligraphy pen. When using this, part of the writing is done where the icing would only be coming from the end of the tip and would make a thin line and part is from the flat side of the tip, giving you a broader line. The #44 tip is sort of like what you use for basket weave only it is a lot smaller and does not have the teeth on one side. For me it did take some practice though.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tip! I hope I can find one #44 around somewhere.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 7

My preferred way to transfer any pattern onto fondant or bc is to trace the mirror image pattern onto a pane of glass, let thoroughly dry and then it can be pressed against sides or top of cake. The trickiest thing is to know when your icing is ready for the pressing - fondant not too dry and bc not too sticky. It works like a charm every time...just a very faint impression but enough to follow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%