Nursing Home Cake Ideas

Decorating By allee Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:30am by elainec

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 8

Got a call late last night from a friend who needs a cake...TODAY! No problem with actually making the cake, but it is for a Ladies Circle @ my friends church. They go visit the residents of the local nursing home once a month, and take a cake or dessert or something. So they want a birthday cake, but I'm not sure how to decorate. She tells me "just do whatever, I am sure it will look fine!". It will be for men & women, any ideas other than just writing H.B.? I thought maybe an oval in the center saying HB, then cornelli lace or something to fill in the top? It's a 9x13 sheet cake. What colors would look best? Any and all ideas appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 8

I would forget that's it for a nursing home and just go w/a nice generic plan. Being as I'm very in love w/cornilli that's probably what I would do icon_smile.gif

allee Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 8

That's kind of what I was thinking, and I have been wanting to do one w/cornelli anyways! What color would you use? It will be iced in white b/c. Thanks!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 8

I LOVE yellow with white, with maybe some daisies ??

allee Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 8

That sounds good and yellow is unisex, so I would have both male/female covered. White daisies w/yellow centers? Can I do the daises out of mmf and put on the b/c? I have done tons of b/c and some mmf, but never put the mmf on the b/c. Will that work? Thanks for the idea!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 8

Oh, sure....... I do it all the time... be sure to post a picture when you are done, okay ?

allee Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 8

ok, so I was running out of time and just went with the cornelli lace, an oval in the center of the cake w/HB written in it. My friend called and upped the delivery time on me, so I just winged it, lol! She decided that it should just be white/white and HB in Red. Not what I envisioned, but she is paying for it so I just smiled and said o.k.! Will post a pic as soon as I can. Thanks for suggestions. I will try the daisy's on a practice (for me to eat!) cake.
Thanks!!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:30am
post #8 of 8

I make a sheet cake every month for a friend's church. I have made balloons, stars, polka dots, flowers, fruit, hearts, etc... in all colors. Maybe red, white and blue for July, a Christmas one in Dec., Shamrocks in March,flowers in Spring and Summber, even a watermelon. They love each and every one of them! THese people love the fact they someone cared enough to make them a home made cake!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%