Stupid Question?does Vanilla Go Bad?

Decorating By tenleysmommy Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm by tenleysmommy

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 5

I made some IMBC and added the vanilla,brand new bottle.I added only 2 tbls instead of the 6tbls it called for.The flavor is so strong it's just gross.Just wondering if there was anything I can do and if I should throw the bottle away?Thanks icon_wink.gif Oh yeah,I used Sylvia W. buttercream recipe.

4 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 5

Found this after doing a Google search. It seems to not go bad as long as you seal it properly (tighten the lid). http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060812194611AAwEOoJ

HTH

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

My grandma also told me that you should always keep Vanilla away from light, so I keep it in a drawer instead of the spice rack. I think that vanilla last at least a year if not longer.

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 5

Some brands of vanilla are much stronger than others. If it's a brand you alway use, maybe you got a bad batch. Another possibility, vanilla extract is made with a lot of alcohol, I would imagine the it would evaporate pretty quickly if left open and could concentrate the flavor.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys,all the info was great.I just threw the bottle away,I did not want to take another chance and waste all my icing again! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%