Ahhh! My Royal Icing Numbers Are Cracking!

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm by lauralee422

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 3

Ive never made royal icing numbers before! Its for a cake on Saturday. I made the numbers on wax paper and let them dry for a few days. I was just trying to peel them off gently, and they are all breaking! I made about five pair just in case, but I don't even want to try anymore! I think tonight I'll just use my clay gun to make the numbers out of fondant/gumpaste, but for future reference i wonder what i did wrong! i used the standard recipe for royal of powdered sugar, merengue powder and a little water... i piped an outline first with pretty thick then the interior with a little thinner. Sigh, i guess I need to do my numbers in fondant!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 3

It sounds like you didn't make them thick enough icon_sad.gif
The other thinkg you did wrong is making them on wax paper. Use plastic wrap. It is *far* easier it romove them from plastic. They won't stick -- almost just fall officon_smile.gif
Also when you added water to thin down after piping the outline did you test it? To the s l o o o w count of 10?

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 3

No, the slow count to 10 ? I don't know what that means. Teach me icon_biggrin.gif , LOL

Also by plastic you dont mean saran wrap, right? You mean actual plastic? Thanks for the feedback!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%