Using Fresh Flowers

Decorating By mkmommy Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm by Solecito

mkmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmommy Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making my first wedding cake and the bride (my sister-in-law) wants to use fresh gerber daisy's on it. How do I use the flowers and still have it be OK and food safe? Any good tips?

Thanks
Sara

5 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

wilton has flower picks you can use to when inserting the flowers in the cake.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

I'd suggest using flower pics (see Wilton site) for individual blooms, or make up a tiny "tray" out of food-safe plastic (cut a clear water botttle down to 1/2" high), and arrange the flowers in oasis (water-soaked floral foam). Even non-toxic flowers are usually treated with pesticides, so it's generally safer to avoid all food contact, unless you organically grow them yourself. icon_smile.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 6

You know what I do? I steal a handful, the lady at my florist gives them to me by the handfull, I use those little water filled plastic things that they put on the end of roses to keep them fresh. I DONT put water in them, but I cut the flower short, stick it in the little plastic holder thingy, and then make a tiny slit in my fondant, and gently press the plastic thingy into the cake. It works fabulous, because it is soooo easy to take the flowers out before cutting.

Then the bride can wrap them with a piece of ribbon and throw them instead of her bouquet, or put them in a small vase, or even just keep them for a week or so.

HTH

mkmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmommy Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you for your replies. This helps so much!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 6

Yea, what everybody said.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%