Buttercream Frosting Recipe?

Baking By matthewsbrat Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm by kakeladi

matthewsbrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewsbrat Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I have never posted and don't want to go through 100 posts. I recently started taking the wilton cake decorating classes at Michaels, and I do not like the wilton recipe at all. It does not taste good. I need something thats closer to what a bakery would use or something. Obviously, I still need to be able to do all of the decorating and all of that. Any good recipes floating out there? Thanks!!

3 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 4

Just go to the recipe tab up above, and search for buttercream............. a whole bunch to take your choice of!

deb

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 4

You will find sooo many buttercream recipes on this site. Buttercream Dream is one of my favorites. (easily found by doing a "search" in recipes).But it really is a matter of trial and error. My suggestion is to print out a couple of recipes and do some taste testing over the next few weeks. When I first started decorating, my family ate ALOT of cake!!! And for me, it wasn't just about taste...it also had alot to do with how the icing held up during decorating.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 4

As a former Wilton instructor may I suggest this:

Go to the recipe section on this site and try the many, many different recipes offered.....BUT!>>>>

*In class* use ONLY the Wilton recipe! For your practice and in class the Wilton recipe is what your instructor knows....how it should handle; what might be wrong when it doesn't turn out; if it's too soft or stiff or whatever. If you bring in something else she/he isn't going to be able to suggest how to make it right!
At home (especially when preparing your cake for class) you can use whatever recipe you decide is right for your tastes. When you bring a cake into class that has already been iced (as you need to do) the instructor isn't going to know or care if it's the Wilton recipe or noticon_smile.gif It's just for doing the learning that it is important it be the Wilton recipeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%