The Great Vanilla Debate

Decorating By HerBoudoir Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm by Mamas

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:04pm
post #91 of 101

For my original "starter" beans (about 6-8 of them), I split them and scraped the seeds, and added everything to the brew.

Now, whenever I use a vanilla bean for anything else, I add everything that's leftover to the brew - the pod, any scraped seeds, etc.

I used a large bottle of cheap vodka (I think it was 1250 ml) and am using a 2 quart glass jar with a rubber sealed lid (from Walmart) to brew the extract in. Currently, the jar is living on the shelf in my pantry hiding behind some stuff (to keep it out of sunlight - there's a window in my pantry).

I keep my vanilla beans in a ziploc bag that I squeeze as much air out as possible, then store the bag in a rubbermaid container with a tight seal - again, in the pantry out of direct light. Any air will dry the beans out.

There is "stuff" floating around in my extract from scraping - seeds, some fibers, etc. I haven't decided if I'm going to filter those out when I start using the extract. If I do, I'll pour it through a coffee filter.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:09pm
post #92 of 101

For your gift jars, check out your local beer/wine home supplier. That's where we purchased small bottles to make cranberry vodka last year for Christmas presents.

HerBoudoir Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #93 of 101

I'll have to look online - we don't have much local shopping icon_smile.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:01pm
post #94 of 101

Has anyone used the Silver Cloud Estates Vanilla and beans?? I just bought the 1/2 pound for 29.50. I was just wondering if anyone else has used their other products, and tried to make vanilla from their beans??

I cant wait to make my own vanilla, I use vanilla like crazy.

Why should you put the vanilla and vodka in a different container as opposed to leaving it in the vodka bottle? Just curious.

Thanks
Jessica

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:04pm
post #95 of 101

~Sue~

Promote Frostitution - eat a cupcake!

By the way, Sue, I LOVE THAT LINE!!!!!! Too funny!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #96 of 101

After reading this post last night, I couldn't wait to order some vanilla beans. I found this site and it has, which has a tremendous amount of info about vanilla beans, an awesome tutorial on making extract and reviews on bean sellers too. Here's the link: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Vanilla-Extraction/ I ordered my beans this morning! Can't wait for them to come. Thanks for this great idea. icon_lol.gif

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 2:54pm
post #97 of 101

I have a bottle from Mexico that I bought in February and it was a good size bottle and I am already about halfway through it. It makes my icings taste muy delicioso! But I am interested in that double vanilla from Penzey's...we have one here in Dallas so I will have to go get some. I am always on the lookout for good vanilla.

Regarding making your own...that sounds really interesting and I think I want to give it a try..but does it really take a year to brew? I am so impatient so I really don't think I could wait a year!!!!

Jen

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:01pm
post #98 of 101

fat-sissy: that is a great website you posted.

I have bought vanilla from Mexico (one that said had no coumarin in it) but was disappointed with the flavor...

I am going to try to make my own soon!

HerBoudoir Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:55pm
post #99 of 101

The beans that I'm currently using are from Silver Cloud Estates, plus I have used their vanilla bean paste, almond extract, and raspberry extact. Overall, I'm very pleased with them. I'd like to try a few more of their products.

I just purchased a half pound of Madagascar bourbon beans and a half pound of Tahitian beans on eBay today - they're actually quite a bit cheaper than the Silver Cloud Estate ones so I'll have to compare the quality.

I don't think you'd really *have* to put the vodka into a different bottle to brew, but I wanted a wide-mouth jar so that I could more easily get the beans out - the jar I'm using was under $5 at Walmart.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #100 of 101

Hi folks, I thought I'd mention something else I didn't see here:

You can add those dried-up shriveled beans (or even a fresh bean!) to your rubbermaid container of granulated sugar. It is SOOOOO good!!! icon_lol.gif
Every time I bake something with this sugar, people comment about the
light delicate taste that sets cookies apart, etc...

When your container is getting empty (like when your 5 lb. bag size container), I just give it a good shake, making sure the lid is on well, and then add new sugar. Then I shake again.

Those shriveled up beans have been in there at least a year and once in a while after opening a new pod, I'll throw in the split pod too. They get really wrinkled, cracked and dry, but the sugar really absorbs the vanilla.

One last thing. This vanilla sugar makes GREAT mocha syrup like at Starbucks: Im a BIG espresso fan so when I make espresso and want a mocha, like a Starbucks Mocha, every week or so, I take a measuring cup, and add 1/2 cup of warm water, 1/2 cup of good quality cocoa powder, 1/2 cup of my vanilla sugar and stir for a while (I plop on the couch while I mash out all of the lumps. After it is relatively smooth, I pour it into a small foodsafe container and store in my fridge. When I want a mocha, I take a spoon and drop a nice big tablespoon of my "mocha syrup" in the bottom of my cup. Add the espresso and steamed milk. Saves me $4 each time (minus my ingredients!)

Mamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamas Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 8:51pm
post #101 of 101

I didn't read through the whole thread and apologize if it was already mentioned but I absolutely love Rodelle's Vanilla extract. They claim that it tastes so good because they have the highest concentration of vanillin in their vanilla. All I know is that everything else, including the Nielson-Massey brand, tasts like water in comparison as far as I am concerned. The stuff is amazing.

Be careful about purchasing vanilla outside of the United States. there are a lot of dangerous imposters out there. I buy beans from vanilla.com. They are the freshest plumpest beans i have ever seen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%