Buttercream Quantity Question

Decorating By janabear Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 2:33am by janabear

janabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janabear Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

hi there. i am making my first 3 tiered cake for a fundraiser. i will be making a 14, 10, and 6 inch tiers. i will be using a filling other than buttercream and am just wondering how much buttercream i should make to cover it? i will be using the butter/icing sugar buttercream rather than IMBC due to logistics
any suggestions?
thanks so much!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:47am
post #2 of 6

As a general rule one uses one batch of icing from 2# of sugar per cake mix used.
Since you used 6-7 mixes (4 for the 14x4 tier; 2 for the 10x4 and 1/2+ for the 6x4) plan on making 5-6 batches of icing.
Any that might be left over can be frozen if you don't have anything else coming up w/in the next week.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #3 of 6

Ok, all I can tell you is that a cake for 300 does not take 40 lbs of icing!!!!! lol.

Years and years ago I made my 1st wedding cake.
I thought 40 lbs of icing would take care of it. It did! And another cake and another cake etc!!!!! lol

LU

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:02am
post #4 of 6

Ok, all I can tell you is that a cake for 300 does not take 40 lbs of icing!!!!! lol.

I thought 40 lbs of icing would take care of it. It did! And another cake and another cake etc!!!!! lol

LU

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9129

LU

OMG, that sounds like me and the Whoppers wedding cake I did. They wanted Whoppers for the 'ball border' and I bought four boxes, then was sure that wasn't going to be enough, so bought four more. Yah, it barely took over one box. icon_redface.gif Was giving the away by the box as 'gifts'. icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

But, back to the subject, kakeladi is absolutely right. It might take a little less because you are not filling them with it, but I'd go ahead and err on the side of caution because, as she mentioned, you can always freeze it. (Or spread it on graham crackers and gain fiddy pounds!!!!)

janabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janabear Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

As a general rule one uses one batch of icing from 2# of sugar per cake mix used.
Since you used 6-7 mixes (4 for the 14x4 tier; 2 for the 10x4 and 1/2+ for the 6x4) plan on making 5-6 batches of icing.
Any that might be left over can be frozen if you don't have anything else coming up w/in the next week.

perfect! i was just about to ask how many mixes i would need, lol
if i am going to fill them as well with BC, should i still make the same amount? the cake is going to be sitting out for over 4 hours so i am nervous now about the filling
thanks so much for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%