White Spots On Stored Buttercream

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 11 Feb 2005 , 5:30pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 10 Feb 2005 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all.
I have a question for you: Have you ever had white spots form on stored colored buttercream? I use all shortening, meringue powder, and a pinch of salt (among other ingredients). I wonder if it's a reaction from the meringue powder and/or salt. The spots almost look like mold, but they are defintely not. Once I stir the buttercream, they disappear; and they never form on an iced cake. I'd love to know if anyone has had this happen and if anyone knows WHY this happens. Thanks!

6 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 12:01am
post #2 of 7

Hey Cookieman...can't say that I've ever had that happen but want to ask...how long has is been stored? I'ved stored mine for a couple of weeks and still have had no problems. Are they wet spots, or lumpy spots? Just trying to get a visual! Missey BTW...I saw you Valentine cookies on another site..........they look great!! icon_biggrin.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

I made the buttercream today...and they appeared within hours! No, they are not lumpy at all. They just look like random "bleached" spots. Like I said, they disappear once you remix the buttercream and they do not affect the taste.
Thanks for the compliments!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 3:36am
post #4 of 7

My uneducated guess would be the salt. But I can't say that for sure.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 5:27am
post #5 of 7

I agree with Dawn, it is the salt, In some areas, the salt has a chemical reaction with your local water and brings out minerals in the water. So you are best off not using salt.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Dawn and Squirrelly. I pretty much assumed that's what it was, but wanted some reassurance from the pros! I'm making another batch of buttercream this weekend and will leave out the salt. I'll report my findings soon thereafter.
Thanks again to everyone!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 11 Feb 2005 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 7

If you still need the salt for flavor, can you try salted butter instead of unsalted? The salt in the butter may not react as this added salt did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%