18", 14", 10" Tiered Cake...

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 14 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm by kerri729

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 10:37am
post #1 of 24

can anyone show me a picture of what it will look like?

how many will it serve?

it's for a friend's wedding. thanks!

23 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:27am
post #2 of 24

No pic but it is going to look "squat".
The tiers are extra bit so it will make the overall cake look 'stubby' - ack! can't think how to say iticon_sad.gif
Just say it won't look pleasing.

The 18 will serve 120 some - not sure
The 14 serves 76 and the 10 serves 39 to the total would be around 225.
On think you can do to get an idea is to stack up your pans OR use styrofoam dummies.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:32am
post #3 of 24

unfortunately i do not have pans or dummies in those sizes icon_sad.gif

what will be the best size for a three tiered cake that will serve around 250 to 300 and not look... well...stubby?

icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #4 of 24

it's time to educate your bride. They have no idea how big a 3-tier cake has to be to serve 300. As it's been stated, it will look "squat". A 10" cake is way too big for a top tier. Why is she stuck on 3-tiers? My guess is she just picked it out of the air because she's a cake civilian and "wedding cakes are POSTA be 3-tier!" icon_confused.gif

Convince her to stretch it to 5 tiers and have a beautiful grand centerpiece cake at her reception!

Or she should get a regular 3-tier cake with sheet cakes to supplement it .... and I HATE that! Why would you choose to have a little 3-tier cake when you could have a 5-tier grand masterpiece?

But then ... i'm a little cake-biased! icon_rolleyes.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:54am
post #5 of 24

actually she wanted a 5-tier. she wanted to do this really cute cake i'll get a pic (i actually helped her choose it) but the cake decorator said it will be tough to make the 5 tiers. i'll look for the pic so you can see it.

ETA

here's the cake she initially wanted.
LL

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 24

A professional bakery/baker told her that? i am so looking forward to seeing the pic! So far, this story sounds like a potential candidate for the "dumb things brides have been told about cakes"! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 24

i know! LOL am starting to think that too.

she is a dear friend and she's out of town so she wants me to talk "cake" with the cake lady since, well, i kinda know a little bit and i was the devil on her shoulder that told her she should get a really cute cake instead of you know... something not cute LOL so i kinda feel guilty.

I think the number of servings is NOT as important but she does want the cake to look good. so how will it work?

the cake lady said it will be rather difficult to make the top tiers because they're too narrow and she's afraid the cake will tip over. but isn't that what dowels and support systems are for?

can someone give me suggestions so that when i go to meet this woman i know exactly what i'm talking about? thanks icon_biggrin.gif

ETA

what about this cake, what are the sizes, you think?
LL

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 24

(big sigh!) The top tier might LOOK tall and skinny simply because it's a smaller tier. This is a common optical illusion on tall cakes.

She's afraid the cake will tip over???? icon_eek.gif If the pic shows it as a 5-tier cake, then yes it IS possible to make it as a 5-tier cake. There is a difference between "it can't be done" and "I dont' know how to do it." icon_confused.gif

I hope it's not a CC'er, but I think your friend needs to find another cake decorator.

And yes....this story SHOULD go on that other thread!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 24

I think the brown and blue cake is 6-9-12. Both cakes are really cute. I don't understand why 5 teirs couldn't be done. Its done every day. Sounds like a baker with little confidence in her ability to stack a cake.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:18pm
post #10 of 24

ARGH. i don't know how to tell her that (the cake lady, not my friend) i feel like it's my fault 'cause i showed my friend that picture LOL

can anyone take a guess on the sizes of that 5-tier cake?

alanahodgson, her first choice was that brown and blue cake too. but when she saw the 5-tier she was like.. I WANT THAT! LOL

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:21pm
post #11 of 24

Since the cakes look pretty close to the edge of each other, I'd guess 6/8/10/12/14, which per the wilton chart will serve about 208.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 24

Could you speak to the baker about the SPS system?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:25pm
post #13 of 24

well, when you THINK about it... it's not suppose to be as expensive as the 3-tier sizes she gave as an option, right? i meant that would serve like 225 and this one is 208.

the price she quoted my friend was ridiculously high for the 5-tier, like almost 5 times as much. makes me wonder if she quoted that high price because she wanted to scare my friend off so she'd go for the 3-tier.

*sigh*

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Could you speak to the baker about the SPS system?

i will have to speak to her about that next time. i was on the phone with her for the first time this afternoon and she gave me the sizes, told me she'll use boiled icing which she called fondant-like, told me she didn't have time to make the fondant accents but she'll replicate the stripes and the scroll work and the lattice design.

so i will have to meet with her again once my friend decides on flavors and basically confirm this order.

if i have the pans i will definitely go for it. well if i have pans and lots of confidence LOL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #15 of 24

I'm not getting a good feeling about that baker. I really think your friend needs to look at some other options.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #16 of 24

me too. but she's the only one who can probably pull this off. her cakes taste VERY good. there's another caker here but her cakes are too dry and taste bleh.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 11:38am
post #17 of 24

I do know the gal who made that blue, black cake and it is indeed 12, 9, 6.
The only problem w/5 tier cakes is transporting it. And what you do there is take it in 2 parts, then it's simple to put those together.
Definately SPS is the way to support it. Can be done w/dowels but SPS is safer, better overall.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #18 of 24

thanks kakeladi. i will keep those sizes in mind IF we indeed go for a 3-tier.

superstar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 12:48am
post #19 of 24

Ignorance is bliss they say, but I would like to know what SPS stands for & don't laugh at me.

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:26am
post #20 of 24

he he he I am laughing because I was going to ask the same! icon_redface.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 1:38am
post #21 of 24

SPS= Single plate separator

http://www.bakingshop.com/weddingcakes/cakestand.htm

OK, this cake lady isn't sounding too great. You can't do a 5 tier cake in 5 tiers? No time for fondant accents? Did the bride OK the "fondant-like boiled icing"? Does the baker realize she's being paid for this?

superstar Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:00am
post #22 of 24

Thanks for the info.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

SPS= Single plate separator

http://www.bakingshop.com/weddingcakes/cakestand.htm

OK, this cake lady isn't sounding too great. You can't do a 5 tier cake in 5 tiers? No time for fondant accents? Did the bride OK the "fondant-like boiled icing"? Does the baker realize she's being paid for this?

the bride is aware of the icing, thank god. am gonna talk to her again. i just hope i don't come off as know-it-all, you know?

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 14 Apr 2008 , 4:57pm
post #24 of 24

Ugghh.......sounds like your friend is in trouble with this baker......I am not sure about the rest of you, but the cake lady should have started the consultation with-------How many servings do you need? Go from there.....a 5 tier is just a 3 tiered cake with two more tiers, or 5 cakes stacked together.......however you want to put it. I did a 5 tier cake last summer, plus some rounds to fee 400 people (I use Earlene's chart)- look in my photos- just to get the idea of the sizes relevent to each tier- it is the gold and ivory cake, tiers are 16-14-12-10-8- if you go by the Wilton chart, the 5 tiers would have fed 296, it's a matter of preference on the servings. As much as I would love SPS, I am only a "hobby" cake decorator, not my career, so I use the Wilton hidden pillars and love them- you cut them to the size of the height of your cake. Any way, if this cake baker truly will not do anything bigger than 3 tiers (as someone mentioned possibly a confidence issue), then I would recommend doing (if you use Wilton's chart) 14-10-6, then add some sattelite cakes to get your servings. And I would not worry about seeming like a know-it-all, as your friend's baker may just need another person to guide her in the right direction- the point of the whole thing is your friend get the cake she desires and doesn't have to fret over it at a very stressful time in her life.
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%