I'm Trying To Understand Renting Out A Licensed Kitchen,??'s

Business By sweetcravings Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm by indydebi

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 7

So since i'm not permitted by law to sell cookies etc. out of my home, i was told i would have to either rent a licensed kitchen, or open shop. My question was, if i rent the kitchen to bake my cookies etc..in, is it then ok to bring them home to decorate, package them, until pickup?
It's so confusing.
suz

6 replies
Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 7

Decorating, etc would have to be done in the licensed kitchen.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 7

This is really going to depend on the state, county, city you live in.

But from what I have heard of most places, is that all work must be done in the licensed facility.

I highly suggest calling your local health department.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 7

I have another question about this. When you are using a licensed kitchen, do I have to be licensed as well or just the kitchen?

Thanks for any help with this!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 7

In most states, another inspection for 'your' business is required to license you at that location.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 2:14am
post #6 of 7

I'm in WA state and I've been doing some research. Here's what I have found out. To obtain a Business license you have to show that you will be working out of a Health Dept. approved kitchen. You also need liability insurance which would run me about $500 a year and covers any damage that may occur in the rented kitchen, choking customers ect, and it would also cover the loss of my cake if damaged in a car accident. I don't need commercial vehicle insurance unless I will have emplyees operating the vehicle.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

...and covers any damage that may occur in the rented kitchen, choking customers ect,

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I gotta make sure that clause is in my policy! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%