Covering Dummy With Ri??

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 9

OK...so I am really wanting to PRACTICE some cake decorating! I have NO cakes this month and I just want to do a little something to keep my skills up...I have a few dummy cakes I can use but I don't know if I want to cover them with bc. icon_confused.gif I am thinking I have seen people talking about covering their dummies with royal icing...I don't have any fondant...and I want something sturdy. IF I cover it with RI what consistency do I use and can I cover my dummy to reuse it later?? like with saran wrap or something! HELP! Want to decorate sooo badly!!! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

TIA

8 replies
step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

com'on guys! I wanna decorate!!! icon_cry.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 9

YOu can always reuse your dummies, you will just need to wash them before using again. You can wrap in seran wrap, some people have problems, some don't. I learned that way so I always do.

As for RI, I don't decorate in RI, I always use BC or fondant (my normal recipes)

sorry I can't help more.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 9

If the dummy is the sealed foam (not the rough regular styrofoam) the royal will break right off when you want to change the icing and redecorated.

The royal will cover the dummy fine, but since the surfaces are not perfect it may take some touch ups for a smooth surface. I would make the icing a bit on the stiff side, but still easy to spread to be sure to cover all the little blemishes.

Thicker icing will take a bit of time to dry.

step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

YOu can always reuse your dummies, you will just need to wash them before using again. You can wrap in seran wrap, some people have problems, some don't. I learned that way so I always do.

As for RI, I don't decorate in RI, I always use BC or fondant (my normal recipes)

sorry I can't help more.

oh no! that's great! Thank you! I didn't even think about just washing them! duh!

step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 9

JoAnnB....it is the nice sealed foam like from Dallas Foam. I think I may just do bc since I want to decorate tonight! Maybe I will do RI another time.

Thanks ladies! icon_wink.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, it should be fine. If you bought it as a dummy, it is usually made from the washable stuff.

I have made fake dummies (fake fakes?) out of the craft styrofoam. If you use this stuff, it is has a more open surface, and works best if you cover it. I have used clear packing tape for a smooth surface. Not needed if you use 'real' dummies.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 9

I use my regular BC recipe except I leave out the dream whip and the vanilla. It goes right on the styrofoam. No saran. Ironically, it hardens like concrete when it's on styro's. When I'm ready to change it, I get my spatula under the icing, run the spatula around the dummy and it all pops right off. Wipe with a damp rag and I"m ready to roll with a new design.

step0nmi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 9

yeah...I have used the Styrofoam from the craft store as well. I don't like that stuff!

thanks for all the help guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%