Couple Of Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By sweettoothcakes Updated 12 Apr 2008 , 4:34am by leah_s

sweettoothcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothcakes Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

How may layer of cake do you do per tier and how many inches tall do your tiers usually end up.

Also when attaching a fabric ribbon what do you usually do?? Do you use icing to hold in place ??

Thanks

4 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 5

I usually do two 2 inch layers per tier. They usually end up a little taller than 4" with filling and icing. Sometimes, if requested, I torte (slice in half horizontally) the layers resulting in 4 1" layers of cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 5

Two 2" layers make up one tier. W/filling & icing it might be 4 1/2 when done.

Usually I use a dot of icing. Some ribbons will absorb grease & look messy. There are many threads that address this topic. You could learn some good tips if you 'search' for them.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

Me too. 2 2" layers with filling and icing, usually 4 1/2" tall.....might be a bit taller if you so 4 1" layers.
I usually add a few straws with I do the 4 1" layers to stablize it a bit.

a dab of icing will usually hold, usually in the back or under a flower or deco so the connection doesn't show. I let the icing get a slight crust...usually an hour or so and then add the ribbon. It lessens your change of bleeding thru.... Fontant, no problem with bleeding thru.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 4:34am
post #5 of 5

I always torte, so I have four layers of cake and three layers of fillng per tier. I never use fabric ribbon as it is not food safe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%