Help With Buttercream Coloring......

Decorating By robyn07 Updated 13 Apr 2008 , 3:31am by aoliveira

robyn07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyn07 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to get a light blue in which I did with the fondant but it was pure white, my buttercream is tinted yellow I'm assuming from the butter and when I put in the blue it's green(of course yellow n blue make green) what do I need to do, dont want to use all shortening like someone suggested to me. Thanks!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 6

My 1st suggestion is to test a small amount.
Is your b/c ALL butter or part w/shortening.

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
post #3 of 6

The only way I know to make a light blue(which is lighter than sky blue) is to add a couple of drops of white to the blue. But I would try it with just a couple of teaspoons of the buttercream just to be on the safe side.

robyn07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyn07 Posted 12 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 6

it's butter and crisco

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #5 of 6

On the color wheel orange is the opposite of green. Maybe try a tiny tip of a toothpick of orange and see if it helps get rid of the green tint. Just try it on a little bit of icing.

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 13 Apr 2008 , 3:31am
post #6 of 6

Have you tried it and got a green tint or you are assuming it will because the buttercream is made with butter?

I've always made buttercream with butter and never had trouble coloring it. But like the others said, try a small amount first, so if it doesn't work you won't ruin an entire batch of icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%