It Is 5:45 Am And I Need Help Right Away!

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 5:01pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 9:50am
post #1 of 12

I did a fondant covered cake last nite, but (being my first) it is apparent I did not use enough shortening to roll it out and now it is very dry looking and cracked - anyway to smooth it out now that it has hardened? Anyway to make it appear nicer/smoother? HELP!!!

11 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:07am
post #2 of 12

I sure hope someone else can come here and advise you, because my only thought is maybe to rub some crisco on your hands and give the cake a good rub all over. But crisco isn't available here, so I've never used it, and I'm not really sure! This is a bump for you anyway!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:08am
post #3 of 12

try kneading some shortening into it. microwave it for about 10 seconds at a time until it's not as hard anymore.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:11am
post #4 of 12

cupcake she already has it on the cake

I don't know.. I think once its hard you can't change the cracks and stuff. But you could try a little lite pressure with crisco on your finger... it's worth a try... OR you can do some nice decoration arrangements.

Sorry this isn't much help

MomLittr Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:12am
post #5 of 12

the fondant is already on the cake......my first mistake was not rolling enough out and having to patch on the bottom, then not using enough crisco on my board to make it more pliable...........so disappointed.....will try to massage some crisco into it and hope the decorations hide the worse spots. The kicker is the bottom section came out almost perfect, it is the top cake that everyone sees first that is so bad - should have done this layer second instead of first..........will have to post pics later

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:12am
post #6 of 12

I am sorry to say my only thought is to recover the cake. the reason for this is that the whole rub the crisco in to make the cracks diasppear only works if the fondant has not had time to dry out. Since it has been drying over night I think you are out of luck.

Make sure if you use the same fondant to add more shortening before you put it on again. You can also add small amounts of corn syrup, we are talking tsp at a time....mix it in until it gets all elasticy....

HTH JUlia

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:24am
post #7 of 12

I'm sorry about that as well, but my thinking is that is you try to rub Crisco into in now, it's just going to make it shiny all over in the spots you rubbed.

If it's the top layer, maybe you could try to make another one.

One thing: leasson learned. Your next cake will be perfect!

MomLittr Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:32am
post #8 of 12

Well for better or worse it is done................this is my first fondant covered cake (and charging $150 for it).....why didn't I just take the fondant off and re-roll the top layer, just my stupidity I guess. Oh well, for better or worse, it will be delivered..............it serves 70 and almost want to refund some money, but forget it!

deb

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:36am
post #9 of 12

I'm sorry icon_sad.gif

It always seems it goes from one extreme to the other with fondant.. I either have NO problems whatsoever covering or have ALL kinds of problems.. never inbetween.. oh well we live and learn huh?

Sometimes I hate fondant LOL

Have a good day Deb!!!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:37am
post #10 of 12

Same thing happened to me a couple of hours ago was up til 5.30am. I put the fondant on the cake and then right before my eyes it started to get lots of cracks. I ended up covering it with fondant stripes!

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 10:45am
post #11 of 12

could you strip off the top portion & re cover with new, moister fondant? if there are decorations on top, you may be able to recover them and reuse.... good luck!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 12

oh god. am so sorry. i didn't understand the first post. i hope you were able to save it. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%