Need Ideas For Deaf/hear Association Cake

Decorating By banba Updated 11 Apr 2008 , 11:36am by banba

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to do a cake for a deaf hear association and I have no idea where to start?

I was hoping to stay away from the whole making an ear or hearing aid as I am not capable of such cake feats!

I havent got a clue how to approach this cake so any and all ideas would be very welcome!

Someone please help!

9 replies
AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 10

My family is deaf. I would stay away from ear or hearing aids themes as well. Deaf people are usually very proud of the fact that they are deaf and have overcome tough circumstances.

What is the occasion? If the party doesn't have a theme that you could make a cake around, a sure bet would be the "I love you" sign in sign language. Deaf people use that sign as a universal symbol of being deaf, and it is used a lot in merchandising, products, etc.

The "I love you" sign is where you hold out your index, pinky, and thumb while putting down your middle and ring fingers. The pinky is the "I", the index and thumb is the "L" for love, and the pinky and thumb is the "Y" for you.

HTH

banba Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks so much AJsGirl, I was not familiar with this at all.

My MIL has lost her hearing and has exhausted all possible hearing aid options. She has just joined the association and is just starting to learn sign language and she would like to bring a cake to her meeting.

I know sign language differs from country to country but as you said the "I love you" is a universal symbol so that's a great idea!

Thank you so much, now I can start forming some ideas for this cake icon_biggrin.gif

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 10

My thoughts exactly, or maybe fondant animals signing to one another.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 10

Here are some pics for inspiration and reference.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

adamt01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamt01 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 10

Do they have a logo? If they do, then that would be a great idea as a starting point.

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsGirl

My family is deaf. I would stay away from ear or hearing aids themes as well. Deaf people are usually very proud of the fact that they are deaf and have overcome tough circumstances.
HTH

Im with AJsGirl... my parents are both deaf and it is very mucha pride thing. Deaf people associate with the I love you symbol in a strong way... (my license plate has the I love you hand on it)

If it is for an informal meeting, then it would be great to maybe do some cupcakes for easier serving and put the ILY hand on top of each.

Good luck Im sure whatever you do she will be happy with it.

Kim

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

Totally agree. My sister is deaf and would be very offended at having anything to do with a hearing aid or an ear on a cake. The "I love you" symbol would be the way to go. JMO

Diane

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:13am
post #9 of 10

My sister is late-deafened, and she would not like the hearing aid thing either. I like the pics that playingwithsugar posted, especially the one with the hearts.

Please post a pic when you get your cake done!

Deanna

banba Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:36am
post #10 of 10

Thanks you so much for all your ideas and the pictures!

They have given me plenty of ideas. Cake is not due until the end of May.

Was thinking of playing around with some fondant figures and have their little hands making the "I love you sign"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%