Chocolate Filled Mini Cakes? How To.

Decorating By Michele01 Updated 10 Apr 2008 , 12:08am by FromScratch

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bride that wants 75 mini cakes, either square or round. She wants to have a chocolate filling inside, probaby ganache. Would this be a problem if I cover the mini cake with white fondant? I have to get back to her on this, but I am just worried about the chocolate seeping out. I know you can do it on a bigger cake, but just don't know about a mini one. Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you.

9 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 10

That would be more than fine to do. You could either just pipe some ganache into the cakes or torte them and put it in that way. Then just freeze them before you try to ice and fondant them. It'll make it easier to manipulate them without them sliding around or getting really crumbly.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 10

I don't think it would be a problem but I do think it would be a PIA to do. I hope you are getting paid well for these as they are very time consuming. I can't imagine how long it would take to put fondant on 75 mini cakes, not to mention leveling, filling, curmb coating, wrappring 75 boards, boxing, etc.

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 10

Is it easy to fill a cupcake? I've never tried it but it sounds wonderful.

kendi25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendi25 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 10

I suggest that once you have torte the cake - you use some type of seedless preserve to coat it with a pastry brush, that way it will keep it sealed and it is also a glue for the fondant to stick on neatly.

Kendi

Michele01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele01 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif Yes I plan to charge well what it's worth. I have no problem with that. lol. I have learned lots from the past.

FromScratch Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 10

Filling a cupcake is very easy to do. I just use a #12 round tip and stick it into the top of the cupcake and squeeze until it starts to buldge a bit at the top.. that sounds kinda dirty now that I type it out.. icon_lol.gif Sometimes I'll do it at an angle towards the paper and do it 3 times to get more filling in there.

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 10

thanks jkalman...sounds easy I'll have to try it next time I make some. I actually have a dozen frozen right now and plan on trying my hand at ganache (does that work well?)

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 10

Mmm... filled cucpakes are so yummy!! And easy to do! I love using a fruit filling with BC on top, and I have had so many requests for them. Ganache would be good too...

Try some, they're great!

FromScratch Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #10 of 10

Yes.. ganache will work.. just let it cool to the point that it's not really hard, but not soupy either and pipe away. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%