Mixing Candy Clay And Gumpaste Or Fondan. . . Would It Work?

Decorating By born2bake Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm by alanahodgson

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 6

I've done numerous searches on CC regarding gumpaste, fondant and candy clay as I'm trying to find a way to make flowers hold their shape and form, but yet still edible . . . if that's possible. So my question is, I've read that candy clay is good in taste and hardens well and of course MMF is good in taste, could the two be combined to get the end result I'm looking for? Or I wonder if mixing candy clay with gumpaste would give the end result some taste.

Any thoughts?

B2B

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 6

what's the end result you're looking for???? Candy clay tastes awesome and holds it's shape fairly well (better than JUST fondant) and gumpaste is awesome for rolling thin and holds it's shape REALLY well...but doesn't taste so nice (mainly because it gets SO HARD)

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 6

You can use straight candy clay to make roses but they won't be as realistic and delicate as with gumpaste. I think the inedible part is essentially as KHalstead stated, it gets hard. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You either get edible and not as pretty, or super pretty and not really edible. But to answer your question you CAN mix the two to get a pretty nice medium to work with, but you will loose some of the properties of the gumpaste that make it so great for making flowers.

born2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
born2bake Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for the replies. To answer KHalstead - I guess what I'm looking for is to make daisies and other flowers look real and delicate but edible too, but alanhodgeson answered that for me and she made perfect sense "You either get edible and not as pretty, or super pretty and not really edible."

Great advise and greatly appreciated!

B2B

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 6

I am still new to some of these concepts. I had not heard of candy clay until I read this thread. I woudl LOVE to make some. My question is how does it hold in warm weather. I am making a cake next weekend that will be sitting out in a room for a few hours. If the room is too warm will my figures fall or "melt"?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 6

If you've allowed them to dry for a while they should be okay, I think. It does get pretty firm when left to sit out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%