Paint Brushes And Cake Hygiene

Decorating By Starkie Updated 5 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm by Starkie

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 15

My DH seems to think that it is unsanitary to use a brand new paintbrush on a cake (for luster dust, gels, etc.), clean it off with hot water and soap, and then use it again later on another cake. He thinks that if, and when, I do this as a business, that the Health Inspector is going to have a coronary. Does anyone have any thoughts or concerns on this? Thanks so much!

<Starkie>

14 replies
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #2 of 15

So, he wants you to buy a new brush each time you need one ?! icon_confused.gif

Tell him he's worrying needlessly icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 15

ask him....

and do you expect me or any restaurant to buy all new plates, cups, silverware, pots, pans, etc.....every time a new meal is prepared and served?

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:09am
post #4 of 15

Sometime's I run mine through the dishwasher... maybe that would satisfy him.

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 15

I'm always amazed at some of the things people worry about as hygenic, then they handle money and rub their eyes, or bite their nails .... well ... let's not even get started on sex.

Besides, have you seen some of those hidden tapes with the people preparing the foods at restaurants? Paint brushes being washed and re-used are the least of our worries- lol!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 15

Would it make him feel better if you used the ones by Wilton that they make for candy painting?

Starkie Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks all for your responses! When I told what "4 out of 5 bakers surveyed said..." he was better at ease about things. He's just overly cautious with that kind of stuff ~ you should have seen him when we had our first child!!!! Although he's a bit anal, he does get me thinking about sanitation issues. Thanks again for your input!!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 15

I buy the really cheap kids' paintbrushes, unless I need one with a very fine tip. I've always just washed them with soap and water and reused. When I paint, I use a mix of vodka and whatever...wouldn't the vodka kill the germs? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif No, seriously, I think it's fine. Think about basting brushes and pastry brushes that restaurants must be using...I'm sure they wash and reuse.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 15

I wash mine with vodka or in the dishwasher, so far no problem.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 15

I had problems with my tips and brushes falling through to the bottom of the dishwasher. I saw this mesh dishwasher basket at Babies R Us when I went to get some stuff for my new baby and it's the best thing to hold tips, brushes, fondant cutters, and couplers when I run them through the dishwasher! Here's a link:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2792468

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 15

I'm licensed and inspected and my inspector has no problem with stuff like reusing brushes as long as you wash them.

Be careful though of the brushes you are using. I bought a bunch of artist paint brushes awhile back and use them quite often. At the time I didn't see the point in paying high dollar for the plastic handled ones (very expensive brushes). Well I'm learning my lesson as the wooden brushes after many washes will begin to have the paint crack and peel which is a real pain to try to get chips off of your cake!

Only had to have it happen once to learn my lesson!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratingDingbat

I'm always amazed at some of the things people worry about as hygenic, then they handle money and rub their eyes, or bite their nails .... well ... let's not even get started on sex.

Besides, have you seen some of those hidden tapes with the people preparing the foods at restaurants? Paint brushes being washed and re-used are the least of our worries- lol!

I totally agree! Pushing around the grocery cart for a half hour will get you sick 100x faster than eating a cake made in any of our home kitchens....new paintbrushes or not, gloved hands or not (providing handwashing is followed), etc. With simple cleaning and handwashing procedures, I think cake is probably one of the safer foods to sell, especially compared to most commercial restaurant kitchens.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #13 of 15

Some of the brushes are glued with paint and can melt in the heat of the dishwasher. What does he think about basting brushes and things like that? I'm sure there are lots of restaurants he's eaten at that have reused brushes for their bbq and such. I can see his concern though, I thought the same thing about the cleanliness, but thought soap would take care of that issue.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 15

Just from curiosity, why did he think washing them wasn't "good enough"? icon_confused.gif

Starkie Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 15

I never thought to bring up sauce brushes from restaurants, etc., to him. But, Indydebi, I think his concern stems from the fact that I will wash out my little brushes, then leave them on the counter before putting them away. As the kids pile the dishes and junk on the counter, there is a chance they may get dirty again. I always wash them again before I put them away if they have sat out, but I think he just believes that they lay around and get dirty again, before they get put away...

*Sigh* Hopefully I will have my at-home, on-site, stand alone bakery one day soon, and these concerns of his will be moot!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%