My New Airbrush Spits!!!!

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 2:00am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:21am
post #1 of 23

Help me please... it didn't come with a booklet that tells you how to take care of this problem... It will spray fine and then spit at the cake causing dots of color.... I did get a moisture trap.. would this help? What else could cause this? It is a KopyKake Kroma Jet Model AB017 ... this was a gift so not the one I really picked.. but I believe it will work ok if I could understand it more... can anybody tell me some hints on how to use this? I have a box of colors and pearl spray to use with this and I am excited... but so far afraid to use the colors for the spitting.. bad enough it did it with the pearl spray icon_sad.gif

Please help

Christi

22 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 23

Sometimes the pearl spray does that becasue the particles are just a little bigger than they should be for the airbrush...Just make sure you shake it up a lot before you put it in the airbrush. If it's doing it all the time, the tip of the needle might be bent a little. You might need a new needle attachment. You could also try using less pressure when you hold the trigger back, but if the needle is bent that won't help. I have to replace the needle occasionally.(or the entire gun part, I can't remember fi they sellt he needles separately)

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:07am
post #3 of 23

you can also wrap the needle in fine sand paper and pass it through once or 2x, there may be a small bend or barb on it and that will help fix it.

wgoat5 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:45am
post #4 of 23

Well I am hoping you are right about it being the pearl spray... I hadn't even used it yet... Using it with the pearl spray is the first time... I would hate to have to replace the who gun or even the needle !! I'll put some reg. color in it and see if that does ok!

Thanks a lot guys icon_smile.gif

Christi

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 23

Christi, every now and again I forget to take the cover off of mine when I practice before using it on a cake. icon_redface.gif Are you sure that your 'cover' is removed. On mine it's the same color as the rest of the 'gun' so unless you know it's there and to remove it, it doesn't even look like a cover for the needle. The description you gave of your spitting is what mine does when I don't remove that cover.

Maybe that's the problem.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 23

Christi, every now and again I forget to take the cover off of mine when I practice before using it on a cake. icon_redface.gif Are you sure that your 'cover' is removed. On mine it's the same color as the rest of the 'gun' so unless you know it's there and to remove it, it doesn't even look like a cover for the needle. The description you gave of your spitting is what mine does when I don't remove that cover.

Maybe that's the problem.

wgoat5 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 23

Ohh my is it clear? LOL I bet that is what it is!!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 23

Did you leave the little rubber cover on it???!!! Too funny...At least if that's the problem it's a quick fix, ha ha! Just make sure you put it back on when you're done, so that when you drop the gun off the counter at some point it will protect the needle!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 23

Mine spits if I forget to put the inside cover back over the needle before the outside screwed on cover. Not sure if yours has one or not but that's why mine spits....that or the mixture isn't diluted enough.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 23

Wgoat5, I'm curious to know whether or not that was the problem. Did you check yet?

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 23

Oh Grace I haven't checked yet... I just got back from the nearest city to get my throwdown materials icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif But I will tonight!!! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 23

I don't have that particular airbrush but I do know that you can replace the needles.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 23

By the way, I forgot to mention that the airbrush I have is the Paasche VSR90#1.

daneza75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daneza75 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #14 of 23

Definitley practice practice practice on a paper towel or paper A LOT before using a new airbrush on a cake. Some things to consider in your troubleshooting:

- Is the needle pushed all the way forward in the casing?
- Are you pushing in the trigger and then pulling back SLLLOOOOOWLY on the trigger to start the air flow and then ending the stream in the same manner?
- Is your air pressure perhaps too low... or too high?

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 23

I wanted the one that Ron Winbeckler's site sells but .... I got this one as a gift before I got to pick the one I wanted out..

It worked also icon_smile.gif

Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 23

Ok I know someone replied but I cant see any posts except for mine UGHH

But it did clear the problem up... I took the little rubber clear piece off of the tip LOL... wow how goofy do I feel????

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:19pm
post #17 of 23

The spits are caused from moisture buildnig up on the needle and also if you are pushing the trigger too hard and rushing things.

I constantly wipe down the head of my airbrush (you dont have to take it apart or anything) with a paper towel. this helps prevents the spitting. Apply pressure a little more evenly. It takes a lotof pratice, I got spitting a lot when I first started..

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #18 of 23

Thanks Loriemoms after I removed the clear plastic cover from the tip I haven't had anymore problems...

icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:46pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Did you leave the little rubber cover on it???!!! Too funny...At least if that's the problem it's a quick fix, ha ha! Just make sure you put it back on when you're done, so that when you drop the gun off the counter at some point it will protect the needle!

Looks like costumeczar nailed the problem! lol icon_lol.gif At least it didn't turn out to be a problem with the equipment which is usually more costly to fix than a problem with the user! icon_lol.gif (sorry to laugh)

wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:58pm
post #20 of 23

Well laugh cause I had hit my head so hard after I took that piece off that I gave myself a headache LOL

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #21 of 23

glad you figured it out! (my airbrush doesnt have any cover on it..)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #22 of 23

I have Roland Winbeckler's airbrush and I dearly love it. No needle to bend and you never have to take it apart for any reason. I find it gives a much more even spray then the kopykake one my friend has. So if anyone is ever looking for a new one you might want to check it out. I know you can get it cheaper on other web sites.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:00am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Well laugh cause I had hit my head so hard after I took that piece off that I gave myself a headache LOL

icon_lol.gif Well like I mentioned earlier, I still leave the silver colored cover on mine when I first begin practicing on paper towels before using it on my cakes. So I can definitely understand you "doh" moment. I obviously have many of them myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%