Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:21am
post #1 of 6

I got this recipe for rolled buttercream on Cake Central:

1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup clear corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon colorless butter flavoring
1 teaspoon colorless vanilla flavoring
1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt (fine grain salt)
7-8 cups (approx. 2lbs.) powdered sugar

Can I substitute butter for the veg shortening in this recipe, without any problems (I detest Crisco)? And will the consistency of this be similar to MMF, which is what I am used to? Any other tips I might need to know about rolled buttercream?

Thanks so much!
<S>

5 replies
trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 6

I am afraid that would not work. The consistency isn't at all similar to MMF. It is more "gooey" and wet than MMF. It is easy to work with , though. I really enjoy making cookies with it, and my customers LOVE it!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 6

I am not sure about the butter, but I replace the 1cup of crisco with 3/4cup of hi-ratio shortening and love the out come.

No way as greasy as the crisco, and does not leave as much of greasy feel in your mouth as crisco.

Hope this helps you out some, good luck thumbs_up.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6

I love rolled buttercream and so do my customers. Its not the consistency of mmf but its easy to cover a cake with a smooth finish and yummy bc flavor. For me its easier to roll out when its still firm from the refrigerator. Don't be afraid to add powdered sugar as you roll out. I find it impossible to roll out and then lift onto a cake with something under it. So I roll it out on myWilton cake dividing mat and then turn it over onto my cake.

I really love using it. It's so much easier than trying to smooth out buttercream. It's kind of something that you need to practice with to see what works for you.

fairycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fairycupcakes Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 2:54am
post #5 of 6

Do you use this the same as you would MMF?
Thanks

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 10 Apr 2008 , 3:09am
post #6 of 6

I tried the rolled buttercream, but I couldn't get it to work. I was unsure on what the recipe meant about being too soft or the stroking bit. Can anyone explain it a little clearer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%