Chocolate Buttercream Help...please!

Decorating By SpringFlour Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 1:50am by TexasSugar

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:56am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a truly memorable choco bc for a very important occasion (will post in photos later!). Most recipes have cocoa listed to make it chocolatey, but is that the best thing to use? Would a good quality chocolate, melted, taste better, or will it not really make any difference in the flavor? I have some really good cocoa, but it seems like actual melted chocolate would be better.

5 replies
daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 6

I don't know what kind of bc you use but I make chocolate swiss meringue bc and get rave reviews about it. It calls for melted semi sweet chocolate.

If you'd like the recipe, pm me and I'll send it to you. It's from the Confetti Cakes cookbook.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 6

I use cocoa powder and I substitute chocolate milk or a chocolate coffee creamer for the liquid. I've never tried melted choc... sorry, can't help much there...

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:06am
post #4 of 6

Some BC recipes give you the option to use cocoa or melted chocolate. I'm thinking of the Wilton recipe in particular, but there are others.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 6

i found a recipe on allrecipes.com that has cocoa powder, butter, shortening pwd sugar and.....HOT FUDGE TOPPING

its very very good..nice choclately taste

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

Until I was able to find the Special Dark Cocoa, I prefered melted chocolate in my icing. I just liked the taste of it over the cocoa. I really like the Special Dark Cocoa, so it's a toss up now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%