Which 5 Petal Cutter Should I Get?

Decorating By yummymummy Updated 28 May 2008 , 12:11am by superstar

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 10

I want to purchase a 5 petal cutter to make gum paste roses, but I'm not sure which brand is best. I noticed on the tutorial, she uses a PME cutter. Does anyone have a preference? Also, what size should I start with? I thought about maybe a 2 or 3", but is that the actual size of the finished rose, or just the cutter. icon_confused.gif

As you can see, I'm a bit confused and need some guidance. Thanks in advance to everyone for always being there to lend a helping hand! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 27 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #2 of 10

This is a good question and I would like to know too so here is a nice bug bump to get this up to the top!

Anyone got suggestions?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:10am
post #3 of 10

I've just heard to stay away from the Wilton cutters. I too want to know if the PME is ok or if a metal one would be better. I've also wondered if the separate petals would be better than the 5 petal

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:13am
post #4 of 10

All I have so far is the Wilton one. I have had good luck with it so far, and it was cheap...I got the quick bouquet set or whatever it's called icon_biggrin.gif for three dollars on clearance.

Here are some roses I made with it. They're not very big...I suppose eventually I'll have to get a bigger cutter.
LL

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:24am
post #5 of 10

Texas_Rose, those are beautiful! It must be the person behind the cutter than makes all the difference!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 27 May 2008 , 5:25am
post #6 of 10

I use the FMM cutters that I got from Globalsugarart.com. The 90mm makes approximately lifesize roses. See the first cake in my pics. The largest rose is about 3 inches across. I have all six sizes and I love them.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 10

I have the JEM easy rose cutters.. in every size that GSA carries .. I love them even though I am not a seasoned rose maker .. I always try.. icon_smile.gif

They are a great investment!!

I take that back .. if they make them larger than 110 mm I don't have them all.. but I would like them bigger.. they end up smaller then I thought they would

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I have the JEM easy rose cutters.. in every size that carries .. I love them even though I am not a seasoned rose maker .. I always try.. icon_smile.gif

They are a great investment!!

I take that back .. if they make them larger than 110 mm I don't have them all.. but I would like them bigger.. they end up smaller then I thought they would

Do you have an apx. measurement of how big of a rose is made from what size cutter (is that clear as mud? e.g. 110 mm = 4" rose)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #9 of 10

I wish I did .. icon_sad.gif unfortunately the roses that I have made I used the 90 and 80 mm cutters which seemed to provide a 2 inch rose if I kept adding petals.. I just can't seem to get a really good size rose without doing them fully open.. icon_sad.gif

Anybody else with suggestions about this? AND after you get so big the base looks funny to me.. now I know people say once the stamen is on it looks fine... but I dunno icon_sad.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 28 May 2008 , 12:11am
post #10 of 10

I mainly do my roses with individual petals, I have used the 5 petal cutter way only once & that was on my Spring Bouquet cake. I am going to try making a large rose with the 5 petal cutter in the near future, I have so many 5 petal cutters. The Spray of roses in my photo's (the large rose one dark pink) was made with single petals, they are time consuming but very rewarding. Each petal was on it's own wire & allowed to dry before assembling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%