Hdi...make A Big Cookie Cake?

Decorating By cassi_g16 Updated 20 May 2008 , 4:04am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 14

My son and husband share a birthday. and it just so happens that they are both big birthdays. my sons 1st and husbands 25th. We just moved six hours away so we don't really have anyone coming for a party, well my dad and stepmom, But I still want them to each have a cake.... without all the extra. I thought about making a two tier with the bottom being fake and just having like a six inch cake on top, for my son, and a cookie cake for my husband. Thing is how do I make one? Can you use any recipe of cookie or is there a certain type. how do you cook it and what pan do I use?

13 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 14

A large cookie can be made from most recipes. Something that doesn't spread a lot works best. Chocolate chip is excellent.

You can bake it in a pizza pan for a round cake/cookie or in a 9x13 for rectangle You can also shape foil on a flat baking sheet.

Lower the baking temperature by 25 degrees, and bake it a bit longer.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 14

my dh won't even let me cook him a cake for his birthday. He always requests a cookie cake from the American Cookie Factory. People showed up this year for his 30th birthday party and couldn't believe that we had a bought cookie cake since they know my baking obsession..... He loves the cookie cakes from that place!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 14

Most cookie recipes can be baked as one big cookie. Any bar cookie recipe (of course) will work as one giant cookie.

I make the chocolate chip giant cookies sometimes. If you line the pan with foil and then spray the foil with nonstick spray, it makes it easier to get it out. You can bake it in a big cake pan too. I usually make mine in a big wilton heart pan.

What's funny is that I remember baking big cookie cakes back when I was barely tall enough to reach my mom's kitchen counters, and decorating them with M&M's pressed in while the cookie was still warm and soft icon_biggrin.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 14

For a cookie cake like the ones you get at the mall stores, I posted a recipe to the files here called Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake. It is sooo good. It uses a cake mix so for a regular choc. chip cookie, I use a white or yellow cake mix. If you want to change it to a choc. choc. chip cookie, just use a chocolate cake mix. I love putting peanut butter chips or Reeses Pieces in the chocolate, chocolate ones.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 14

I use my standard cookie recipes and bake them in my cake pans. I don't want to buy other pans just to bake the cookies in.

I line my cake pans with parchment paper and then lightly grease the outside edge (just like preparing it for a cake)
Press in my dough about 1/4" thick and pop in the oven to bake.

I start with about 15-20 mins depending on the cookie and size and then check it every 5 mins. I then have a chart that I write down any new flavors and sizes so I have a reference sheet when I need to bake that size next time.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:58am
post #7 of 14

I made mine with a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe and made it in a 8" cake pan it was about 1 1/2" thick. I Stenciled a heart with powdered sugar and drizzled with chocolate. ummmmmm so good! My husband said that was what he wanted from now on. And he loves cake!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:10am
post #8 of 14

I used ckkerber recipe and it came out perfectly. Tasted great and came out of the pan well too. I didn't plan well on what to put it in so I got pizza boxed from Little Caesars!

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 14

I've made several of them. I use, like a few posters here, the regular Choc Chip recipe on the back of Nestle's chips. I take a pizza pan, spray it, then lay parchment paper down. Pour the entire batter onto the pan and spread out evenly and shape into circle. Works best is you put butter on your hands and shape it with your hands.

They always come out great. But remember, like a previous poster said, turn your temp down and watch the time. I don't remember how long it took mine. I just watch it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 14

I use my basic chocolate chip cookie dough with any cake pan I want. One thing I alearned though is that when you spread the cookie dough in the pan leave an empty edge around it. This will allow room for your dough to spread out with out spreading up the sides.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 14

sorry to butt in, but can i just pour the cookie dough into the cake pan? if i grease it really well or do i need the foil still?

thanks. am baking this for tuesday.

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 19 May 2008 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 14

I have often used a springform pan as well. Lined with parchment and lightly greased around the edges makes a perfect circle and pops out perfect every time!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

sorry to butt in, but can i just pour the cookie dough into the cake pan? if i grease it really well or do i need the foil still?

thanks. am baking this for tuesday.

I have always done them just in greased cake pans. No parchment paper, no foil.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #14 of 14

thanks! I'll make one tomorrow for David Cook (Cookie!) just for luck. haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%