Chocolate Transfer?

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 11:53pm by lecrn

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 8

So this is the second time I have tried to make a ct, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't seam to get past the outline, I can't keep the lines that are close together from running together. I don't think my picture is too small,(it's spongebob) but maybe my tip is too big, The smallest I have is a # 2. I have also tried cutting a small hole in the bag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies
turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 8

Have you tried doing the outline and putting it in the refridgerator for a few minutes to harden up and then finishing it. That way the first lines would not be runny when you did the other lines. The only problem with this would be that you would have to keep reheating the icing in the bag. Hope this helps.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 8

Unless you are doing a really large Ct, a tip 2 would be a large outline. Personally I find the best way to do CT's are with parchment triangles. Roll them really tight and if needed snip off the end. But I am talking a miniscule amount. YOu will have very fine lines and good control. Plus you can save the leftovers in there and reheat.

For your inspiration: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=64476

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 8

I was going to recommend the parchment triangle, but I see that merissa beat me to it. icon_smile.gif I would give that a try and see what happens. Oh, and also what turtle recommended. Ocassionally put it in the refrigerator so it doesn't melt too much.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 8

I don't use a tip at all. I just cut a small hole in a disposable piping bag. Start small & increase the size of the hole until you get the thickness that you need for the outline. I like the plastic bags better than parchment, but it's really a matter of preference.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

I have a freezable insert to a vegetable/deviled egg tray that I use when I make things like this (It's the Pampered Chef Chillzanne tray, for anyone wondering). I just freeze the insert, put the flat end up, put the waxed paper and stuff on top, then pipe. The chocolate cools almost instantly while I'm piping, so no need to go back and forthe to the fridge. I'm sure there's something else you could use just as well, but since I have it, I use it... I suppose you could use any freezable cooler insert if it was flat enough... Or a gallon Ziplock filled with water that you froze on a baking pan... Or... So many ideas... icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck with future CT's!

SISA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SISA Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 8

Turtle you mentioned that you might have to keep re-heating the bags. I found if you keep a heating pad set on high it will help keep the chocolate a perfect tempeture for working with. I think I actually previously read that on here somewhere. Either way it is a great little tip.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 8

I use a heating pad as well. If I have more than 1 image, I try to do the same colors for each image. I haven't had any issue with the colors running together, and I don't ever place the image in the fridge. This is 1 of the beauties of the choc. transfer. It only takes a min. for it to dry. Your choc. should not be scalding hot, if so, it will melt the other colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%