Help Please!!! Price Question On Wilton Basketweave Cake

Decorating By Malakin Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 6:25am by miny

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to do the cake below. (I hope the pic downloads right) It is one I did in my Wilton Class II final, the basketweave with the Royal icing flowers. I am at work and have no idea on what to charge....I've never been asked what my price would be for a cake. I can't even remember what size this oval cake is.....Any suggestions on pricing secondary to my sub-par experience is welcome. I'm just beginning and don't know what to say to this lady. She didn't even take a bit of the one her friend received of the same. She wanted it made anyway. It is white cake, raspberry filling with BC and Royal icing flowers. Thanks!!!
LL

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 10

That's the smallest oval - about 7x5 - using one cake mix total for 2 layers (maybe less?)
The flowers don't have to be royal....many can be made from b'cream ahead and left out to air-dry. Only lilies & daisies are best made w/royal.
As for pricing - I suggest $25-35. I don't know how much prices have gone up in the past 6 months. A yr ago I'd get $20-25 for it.

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know much about pricing but measured the pan and hope it helps someone to help you. I just finished this course myself and it is 8 x 6 inches oval.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 10

I would not charge that cake for less than $45 to $50 ... It has a lot of work involved..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 10

I would not charge that cake for less than $45 to $50 ... It has a lot of work involved..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 10

I occasionally do cakes/desserts for friends but am not a professional baker. I figure it as the cost of ingredients, plus what I think is reasonable for an hour of my time multilplied by how many hours it will take for me to make it.

If it takes me 3 hours to bake, decorate, and clean up; I figure $10 an hour for my time; plus $15 worth of ingredients, then you're looking at a minimum of $45 for the cake.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 10

I had a request for that cake as well and charged 35.00 at the time. They did not balk at the price and have been ordering cakes from me ever since. However, Now I charge 45.00, which is my minimum, and they do not balk at that either. Don't undersell yourself or you will be working your keister off for pennies..... Especially if you are like me and do all the work yourself.

Beautiful job on your cake...........it is worth no less than 35 IMO!! thumbs_up.gif

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would charge about 35 CAD for that,I tried to post an attachment, hopefully it worked. It is a cake I charged $35 CAD for and it was the same size as the wilton class 2 with basketweave and Royal icing flowers. They were happy to pay it, considering the only alternative was more expensive for the same idea! but I am new to it and trying to establish myself before I raise my prices..
LL

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:44am
post #9 of 10

Thank you all so much for your input on the size and price. I didn't know where to start and I didn't want to overcharge anyone but on the other hand I didn't want to totally waste my time or money on all of the supplies I have to use.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:25am
post #10 of 10

I usually do this cake for $35- $40 because it's a small cake but it takes a lot of effort to make and it looks so amazing! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%