Funny Story About My Cake Decorating Daughter...

Decorating By SLK Updated 18 May 2008 , 10:04am by Mike1394

SLK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SLK Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 12

As much as our kids make us want to pull our hair out sometimes, my daughter made me so proud...I wanted to share this story with you...

Last weekend I had a huge (for me) wedding cake and my grandma calls and says she needs a baby shower/family reunion cake to feed 50. "But Grandma" I said, "I'm so busy - I don't think I'll have time." She insisted, so I said yes Grandma. I told my 9 year old daugher (turning 10 in June) that I was so busy that I didn't know what to do. Her eyes lit up and she said..."I CAN DO IT!!!"....

I told her that I'd bake and cover the cake, but she was on her own with the concept and decorating. So, like a little trooper she got out my sketch book and came up with a darling idea....all by her self. The only thing I helped her with was molding the Momma Duck and holding the paper towel as she air brushed the clouds.

So last Friday rolled around. I sat on one side of the table decorating, she sat on the other decorating. It was such a nice day.

My wedding was on Saturday - people said they loved it. Sunday was my daughters cake....she was practically signing autographs by the end of the night, everyone thought it was awesome - I teased her that I was a little jealous of the attention she got. Sunday night we posted our cakes at the same time on CC.

Now, every day she loggs on to CC to see who's winning in the "number of views" contest. I am so proud to say that she is winning! And she's had 2 people save her's to their favorites....that kid is so excited every time she loggs on.

Thanks CC's for making her feel so good about her cake. If you want to see it, it's the Baby Ducky cake.

Blessings,

SLK

11 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:28am
post #2 of 12

Isn't it fun when they take an interest in your interest?

She did a great job on that cake, she's a prodigy.

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 10:56am
post #3 of 12

My five year old, Cale, is in the "can I help you momma" stage. At first it was really bothersome while I was trying to do a cake. Can I help you 50 times while you are working on a tiered cake, can make me want to pull my hair out. Then his younger brother gets into the act and it's a three ring circus in the kitchen!

Finally I started baking Cale his own cake before I start on my order. I make him some icing bags and let him "help" to his hearts content!

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:17am
post #4 of 12

I was wondering if you could post the url's for the two cakes? I can't seem to find them. I'm prob not looking in the right place, but I'm not sure how to find them.

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 11:28am
post #5 of 12

That story just put a smile on my face. What a way to start my day.

I'm sure that is something both you and your daughter will remember for a very long time.

Such a good mommy!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thanks for sharing.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 12

It's no wonder she did so well. Did you all see that gallery? Geesh...there's not a single one that isn't out of this world! If she watches you often, she's bound to pick up some of those techniques. Bravo to you both!

SLK Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 12

I was in the kitchen making breakfast and my daughter let out a scream. I ran like a bat out of ..you know...to see what was wrong.

She had just logged on to see that her cake "vied" number jumped to well over 100 --- and there were 10 people that saved as thier favorites.

If she was winning our contest before - she's kicking my butt now! Thanks everyone who looked at who commented and especially those who saved her's in your favorites.

She really needed an ego boost this morning. She starting in on those "tween girly emotional issues" and already and had a meltdown this morning because her sister made her mad. Now she's walking around beaming from ear to ear... and being nice to everyone. Ahh, I've got so much to look forward to as she get older.

I'll try to attach the link here....
this is her ducky cake....

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-gallery_display_1199982.html

Thanks for the comments!!!!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 12

That is an amazing cake!! She should be smiling ear to ear! I saved it in my favorites to show my 10 year what she could do if she sets her mind to it.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 12

I LOVE that my daughter likes to bake and decorate with me, we have so much fun. She has her little chef hat and apron on that I made her, and she just goes to town. Thats her in the avatar making a cake last year for her teacher. She's very talented as well. They are close in age so we should let them start a bakery Betty! LOL

SLK Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 12

That's funny mizshelli, they could call it Little Chefs!

She has a tendency to get down on herself - as so many of us decorators do - "I can" "It's Aweful", etc. Before she started I told her if I heard one negative word, she was done and we would take a half decorated cake with us to the party.

Somehow it must have worked because she stayed positive the entire time, so very determined.

She is cracking me up, she is checking her picture out every 10 minutes. And then she feels the need to say "I'm sorry mommy," sorry for what I asked, "sorry that not many people are looking at your cake."

I'm still laughing. Maybe I should be jealous....

THANKS again CCers for making her day.

2Cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2Cupcakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #11 of 12

I'm so glad that you allow your daughter to share in your hobby. My mom always decorated our birthday cakes when we were growing up and passed her passion on to me. About a year and half ago she gave me my first set of decorating tips.

She had me in the kitchen cooking very early on. I remember standing on a stool to be able to reach the counter to crumble cornbread for the thanksgiving stuffing and mixing desserts for family reunions. We have shared so many great times in the kitchen together.

This past weekend I went back home for mother's day weekend. It was also my grandmother's 83rd birthday. I went to my mom's restaurant to bake and decorate mammaw's birthday cake. As I was mixing the icing, I asked one of her employees if her daughter cooked much. She said she never had let her cook any. Mom and I were just in shock. Her daughter was 13. At that age I could make the cornbread and entire dressing for the turkey along with several sides and pies for thanksgiving dinner. Mom told her she was really missing out on some good times.

Enjoy the time in the kitchen with your daughter. She will remember them and will absolutely love coming home and cooking with you every chance she gets. I know I do! Okay, now I'm getting teary eyed.... icon_redface.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 May 2008 , 10:04am
post #12 of 12

Oh gee thanks a 10 yr old can run an airbrush better than I can. Oh I feel much better. LOLOLOL. Wonderful wonderful job on the cake. Let her know she has an old man jealous of her airbrush work. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%