Need To Vent To Only Those That Would Understand......(Long)

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58am by Curtsmin24

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm
post #61 of 82

I've been watching this forum as well and just want to add that, should you decided to continue to donate your time and money to her (the bride's) charity event, you really need to get everything down in writing from here on out. I'm willing to bet things would be changed on a daily basis if you don't finalize this on paper and with signatures. Good Luck! I have a friend like you who has a HUGE, soft heart... I just hate to see it stomped on.

titch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
titch Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 10:46am
post #62 of 82

Well I'm dying of suspense here, Crissy did you decide to make the cake in the end?

I too agree with others that if she is adding things on to the decoration then the price should go up to also, but of course that is easier said than done!

Good luck if you decide to make it, I learned that everytime i make a cake I'm usually learning something new as to how I do things, or I learn something new on how to handle people. So now I"m having to draw up a list of rules and reg's etc! icon_wink.gif

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:18pm
post #63 of 82

Yes I'm going to do the cake but only because I feel like we've (at least DH) has already commited us to this cake.
Two things though, her deisgn has changed and been finalized to a very simple design. Though it doesn't account for the time I've spent getting to this point at least it's more like what you would get for $100. She's chosen all BTC with those swiss dot/ 3 bead flowers on the sides, a bottom bead border and something that looks like a solid, flat reverse shell border for the tops.
Secondly, I sent her an email yesterday with payment info leaving it vague enough to see if there is any wiggle room for me on price. She responded with an email asking the exact price and she will pay in full this week as soon as she knows. So I'm thinking I may up the price a tad and see what she says. DH said if she can just cover the cost of the preserves he'd be happy so we'll see. We're both resigned to the fact that we got taken advantage of on a deal that was supposed to be so simple.
I guess it's true what they say..."If it sounds too good to be true then it usually is!"

I'll continue to keep you guys all posted as I'm able and I will post pics here when it's all said and done.

Thanks for all your support!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 2:42pm
post #64 of 82

Sending good thoughts your way! You have a good heart...and I'm sorry this happened.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 24 Mar 2008 , 5:37pm
post #65 of 82

i hope she gives you a BIG TIP!! shes nuts and im so sorry you got taken advantage of.!!

chrissysconfections Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:53pm
post #66 of 82

Here's an update for anyone still watching this thread.....

My DH came home Tuesday with her cake toppers and a check for the full amount...including the little extra I added on. I'm pretty sure that puts an end to any tip if she thought of giving one but that's ok. I've noticed around here not many tip for cakes....I think they believe its one of those services you don't tip for.

I did find that her cake toppers weren't what I was expecting. The colors are more yellow and green then cream and she want the cake cream and champagne. I'm thinking this will look horrible so I'm not sure if I should just do it the way she says or try to make it look nice and match things up a bit more.
I have to start them tomorrow so I guess time will tell.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:40pm
post #67 of 82

Do they really clash? Maybe you could give her a quick call & ask if she wants you to match the colors or still go with cream & champagne. Looking forward to seeing the end result & I know you are looking forward to seeing the end of this cake.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:43pm
post #68 of 82

I know when I delivered a wedding cake, (luckily the mom & bride were there, at the hotel), what they wanted was not as attractive. They wanted silk daisies, dark yellow and orange ones added to the cake.....I had brought them, hoping to see them and say....this doesn't work!!
I also had brought ribbon with me to match the topper....yes, that did it, thank goodness...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #69 of 82

Wow, I hate when people act that way! I had a groom to be that was that way and in the end I got stiffed on the bill all together because I agreed to do this cake on Monday for a Saturday and it was for 175 people! And believe me, they dont appreciate the efforts you put in.
My advice is to tell you DH that next time he is to just give them your number or email address and never to agree to anything without talking to you first.
Also, tell them that short notice cakes are priced higher because your booked up in advance and accomidating a cake like that makes you have to change your schedules ext. Have a set price for short notice cakes if you agree at all to do them, even if your not booked.
Their coming to your because either A) their last decorator dumped them because their high maintance or B) their dumber than dirt and think that you have a magic wand that you waive to create their cake!
Usually when their a week or two away from their wedding this should be a red flag for you! Unless there is extraordinary circumstances, there is something wrong! Should blink "Stay Away!"
And at some point if they cant decide and our at your wits end, give them a couple of websites or books to look at and tell them to let you know when the decide and this is the date you need to know by and this is the date that no more changes can be made.
Well I hope everything works out for you and unfortunately there are people out there like that. But it definetly is a learning experience and it will give you the gumption to either say no next time or make them pay for your time. People who get pushed around usually get stepped on in the end!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:07pm
post #70 of 82

In the first place I would never agree to do a wedding cake via phone or e mail. Make an appointment for a consult yes, but I wouldn't do the whole planning process that way. The time I'd be investing in their cake should be, at least, worth their time to come see me in person to make the arrangements. Secondly, my dh can refer people to me but not make commitments on my behalf. In return I stay out of his avaition business.

I am amazed at the time you were willing to spend on this with all the other more important things you have/had going on at the time. She should have been forced to make time to nail down the plan for her cake long before it actually happened. I'm sure you'll give her a beautiful cake but I'll be surprised if she's happy with the final product.

I never ever let a client get away with the old "do whatever you want" line.
You ought to have a contract and get it all on there within xx number of days before the event, along with payment. In the event of a last minute order I certainly don't think it's unreasonable to tack on an extra charge for being last minute.

As far as being yelled at/cussed at by ANYONE, be it family/other, in person/on the phone, threatened with going to Wal Mart, Costco or the like to get a better price, my answer is all the same. Goodbye and don't consider calling me again for cake.

I can accept an apology but there will be No cake.

kaciealexa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaciealexa Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:33pm
post #71 of 82

my idea would have been to kick this gal to the curb.. but i understand all about office politics, and certainly you don't want you DH to have to listen to her complain forever about how ' his wife ruined my wedding'...
BUT-- i would make sure that your DH was there for you during the whole cake process... that means taking care of the kids while you bake, cleaning up all the mess, and then taking the kids to the play park while you take a LONG nap!!

have you figured out yet what you are making an hour for all you time and talent? from what i have been able to discern from your posts, you must be down to about only making about $2 an hour, if even that... Even the decorators at wally world make more than that! and certainly the bride wouldn't work for that, so why should you... there is an old saying about husbands that could equally be applied to cake decorators..."men are like linoleum, if you lay 'em right the first time, you can walk on them forever"...

chrissysconfections Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 11:22pm
post #72 of 82

First off let me thank all of you for getting me through these last 2 wks. DH and I have DEFINITELY learned a hard lesson here and he has apologized profusely for his part in all this. Grandma did take the little one while I worked on the cakes yesterday BUT DH did clean up my messes, made icing, gave moral support and advice and even God bless him, tried to ice the kitchen cake for me. It was also fast approaching 1:00 AM at this point and after working 14hrs himself he was willing to do whatever it took to get us to bed ASAP.
This morning I learned a couple of things when I called the hall to speak to the woman I was told by the bride was in charge. First thing I learned was that the "woman in charge" wasn't due in until after 6 because she has a day job at wally world. The reception started at 4-ish. So that being learned I spoke to the site manager on call. He told me he's been through heck and back with the bride. He said and I quote "I've had more trouble with this bride for 30-40 guests then I did the wedding last weekend for 200!" I told him I felt his pain as I too have had a somewhat difficult time with her as well but I did need to know when and where to put the cake. He said at the last minute the bride had decided to decorate the hall (which she had previously decided not to do to keep it "low key") which forced them after their scheduled entertainment to set things up for her wedding. When I called them as of 12 they still hadn't showed to decorate, the manager was beyond upset because after all the work the night before he had to come in early to unlock the doors for them to not show up. However, they must have shown up at some point because there were flowers on the tables and wine glasses out when we came to put the cake up.
All that being said, I do not like this cake. I don't like the design she picked, the colors or where they placed it in the hall. It's in a corner surrounded by fake ficus plants that really bring out the green in her arrangements. Because of the poor lighting in that corner and the fake trees the cake looks more of a peach-ish color then the cream color it was when it left my kitchen. I know she will not be pleased with this cake and I realize that no matter what I did ....including a SW reproduction, would make her happy. She seems so sweet and pleasant on the phone and you really want to help her and feel for her but in the end you know your just gonna get it. I imagine she will complain about the colors, the placing, the fact that there may be a dimple or something in the icing somewhere because she really wanted fondant. The list of her complaints in my head are endless. Did I mention before I actually had to go out and purchase this cake stand JUST FOR HER. I'm sure there will be something wrong with that too. It won't be the one she had in mind or some such thing even though I sent her a picture of it after I purchased it.
I was somewhat smart though and did two things to cover my own butt in the event she had certain complaints. First if she complained about the color, I took a picture of the cake in my kitchen with just the blinds open and one light on....which would be similar to the hall IF they didn't put it in the corner (I know I had MY reception there!) I also took a picture of the cake set up...I will concede that the border on the bottom cake is a bit messed up but that's from DH's "helping" again. Lastly, I ALWAYS have a delivery confirmation sheet signed by someone in charge. We even made sure she went over and checked the cake out.....she was so thorough that she even shook the cake stand!! icon_surprised.gif I'm going to send her a copy of the picture I took when I left too with a little note saying something like " I didn't know if you had a photographer or not but I wanted to send you this picture I took when we finished setting up. Sometime's little fingers (or big) can't resist touching that icing so I thought I would send you a photo of it freshly done" or something to that effect. Just something so she doesn't think she's going to pull something on me. I know that this will not stop the complaints from coming but at least I will have a little amo to fight back with.
I'm a nervous wreck and I've literally made myself sick with this cake. The long nights and stress trying to get her cake designed let alone made has taken it's toll. I'm exhausted, achy and nauseous. My DH and I went out for our first childless meal in almost a year after we delivered this cake and I couldn't even eat. I just want to go to bed!! ouch.gif

I'll attach both pics for you....the one in then light and the one on site that's darker. Please disregard the mess around the cake in my kitchen. It was a quick last minute thought on the way out!

Again, thanks for everything!!
LL
LL

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 10:31am
post #73 of 82

Hi Chrissy, the cake looks nice. Even though you don't like it, that's what the bride wanted. You did a great job, in few days. You are incredible. I'm sure I couldn't have done it.

Its its good that you took photos.

Anyway, you get some rest girl.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:46pm
post #74 of 82

You did a wonderful job on a last minute cake for a certified bridezilla. I'm sorry she put you (and obviously others) through such stress. You really have nothing to worry about; if she complains about anything, it's only because she's a nutter, not because anything is wrong with your cake.

Get some rest, and take that $100 and get your self a drink, or two, or maybe even three. icon_lol.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 6:25am
post #75 of 82

It's gorgeous!! If she has one complaint tell her to go to he** and hang up. The cake is done and you don't have to deal with her anymore. Get some rest and enjoy your family because I know you have been stressing over this for too long.

chrissysconfections Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #76 of 82

Good News!!
The bride called me last night to tell me she absolutely loved her cake. She said it was beautiful and just what she wanted. Everyone complimented her on it and wanted to know who did it for her. Then once they started serving it more rave reviews came in. She said out of all 4 cakes the only thing she had left was 4 slices of the 10" and her 6". She said the guests wanted to cut her 6" and she told them if they did she'd kill them!
I was worried all weekend....waiting for that other shoe to fall. I got really nervous after I sent the email with the picture and still hadn't heard from her. When she called she said that she hasn't checked her email since Friday so her call was even more of a surprise.
Also she said the brand new cake stand I bought broke at the reception and she offered to pay for it!! I told her to send it back though and I'll take it back to where I bought it because it was only 10 days old and apparently where it broke was where the leg screws in. The part it screws in to was welded on the frame and the weld didn't hold.
All and all I'm glad this is over but it certainly is more satisfying to know that she was happy too .

Oh yeah, she even said she was going to write something up so I could put it with my Thank You's on my MySpace.
Guess she might just have been over stressed and not really meaning to come off like she was.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:49pm
post #77 of 82

Congratulations!!!!! So glad it turned out well!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:01pm
post #78 of 82

Hey Chrissy, that's great and Congrdulations!!

I'm so happy for you and glad its over.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:46pm
post #79 of 82

Thank goodness it's over Chrissy & I am so happy everything turned out well for you. Now take a deep breath & have some R & R.

chrissysconfections Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:47pm
post #80 of 82

Thanks everyone!

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but with all the site problems I couldn't get on at all.

Thank Goodness for CC and it's members!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:06am
post #81 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissysconfections

First off let me thank all of you for getting me through these last 2 wks. DH and I have DEFINITELY learned a hard lesson here and he has apologized profusely for his part in all this. Grandma did take the little one while I worked on the cakes yesterday BUT DH did clean up my messes, made icing, gave moral support and advice and even God bless him, tried to ice the kitchen cake for me. It was also fast approaching 1:00 AM at this point and after working 14hrs himself he was willing to do whatever it took to get us to bed ASAP.
This morning I learned a couple of things when I called the hall to speak to the woman I was told by the bride was in charge. First thing I learned was that the "woman in charge" wasn't due in until after 6 because she has a day job at wally world. The reception started at 4-ish. So that being learned I spoke to the site manager on call. He told me he's been through heck and back with the bride. He said and I quote "I've had more trouble with this bride for 30-40 guests then I did the wedding last weekend for 200!" I told him I felt his pain as I too have had a somewhat difficult time with her as well but I did need to know when and where to put the cake. He said at the last minute the bride had decided to decorate the hall (which she had previously decided not to do to keep it "low key") which forced them after their scheduled entertainment to set things up for her wedding. When I called them as of 12 they still hadn't showed to decorate, the manager was beyond upset because after all the work the night before he had to come in early to unlock the doors for them to not show up. However, they must have shown up at some point because there were flowers on the tables and wine glasses out when we came to put the cake up.
All that being said, I do not like this cake. I don't like the design she picked, the colors or where they placed it in the hall. It's in a corner surrounded by fake ficus plants that really bring out the green in her arrangements. Because of the poor lighting in that corner and the fake trees the cake looks more of a peach-ish color then the cream color it was when it left my kitchen. I know she will not be pleased with this cake and I realize that no matter what I did ....including a SW reproduction, would make her happy. She seems so sweet and pleasant on the phone and you really want to help her and feel for her but in the end you know your just gonna get it. I imagine she will complain about the colors, the placing, the fact that there may be a dimple or something in the icing somewhere because she really wanted fondant. The list of her complaints in my head are endless. Did I mention before I actually had to go out and purchase this cake stand JUST FOR HER. I'm sure there will be something wrong with that too. It won't be the one she had in mind or some such thing even though I sent her a picture of it after I purchased it.
I was somewhat smart though and did two things to cover my own butt in the event she had certain complaints. First if she complained about the color, I took a picture of the cake in my kitchen with just the blinds open and one light on....which would be similar to the hall IF they didn't put it in the corner (I know I had MY reception there!) I also took a picture of the cake set up...I will concede that the border on the bottom cake is a bit messed up but that's from DH's "helping" again. Lastly, I ALWAYS have a delivery confirmation sheet signed by someone in charge. We even made sure she went over and checked the cake out.....she was so thorough that she even shook the cake stand!! icon_surprised.gif I'm going to send her a copy of the picture I took when I left too with a little note saying something like " I didn't know if you had a photographer or not but I wanted to send you this picture I took when we finished setting up. Sometime's little fingers (or big) can't resist touching that icing so I thought I would send you a photo of it freshly done" or something to that effect. Just something so she doesn't think she's going to pull something on me. I know that this will not stop the complaints from coming but at least I will have a little amo to fight back with.
I'm a nervous wreck and I've literally made myself sick with this cake. The long nights and stress trying to get her cake designed let alone made has taken it's toll. I'm exhausted, achy and nauseous. My DH and I went out for our first childless meal in almost a year after we delivered this cake and I couldn't even eat. I just want to go to bed!! ouch.gif

I'll attach both pics for you....the one in then light and the one on site that's darker. Please disregard the mess around the cake in my kitchen. It was a quick last minute thought on the way out!

Again, thanks for everything!!

You ROCK!!!That is an awesome cake for 100 dollars, it would be an awesome cake for 300. You did good and you were a trooper. You know the funnything is, I am sure we had all this drama going in our head, and the bride probably wasnt intentionally trying to be that way. I offered to make a Princess Cake for a friends 3 year old daughter brithday and she was emailing telling me maybe I shouldnt make the body of the cake pink it would be too much pink..and I am thinking...uuuh and you have been decorating cakes for how long? Ha ha ha ha ha....but anyways...You are GREAT...GOOD JOB...I am sure you made your self sick with worry, but hey you get a good write up from it...Again, my hats off to you!!! thumbs_up.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:58am
post #82 of 82

Thank God!!! Now you can breath!! It feels good doesn't it. icon_smile.gif I'm happy to hear all turned out well. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%