I Need A Nerd :-) To Help With "pi" And Math For

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 19 Mar 2008 , 10:08pm by CakeDiva73

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:24am
post #1 of 10

Ok, I am trying (for the last time!) to create a realistic serving/fee chart. I intend to print an 'idea' of my prices on the backs of my business cards. I know there are alot out there who think that is a really bad idea but my reasoning is I want to weed out those cheap butt-heads who make me crazy. icon_mad.gif

I am sick to death of getting those calls that go; "Hi. Can you do a wedding cake for 120 people for $75? It has to be perfect.......and fondant....and it's on this Sunday. Oh, and you do sugar flowers right? AND I hope delivery 50 miles away is included....."

icon_confused.gif Seriously, I throw things! And I am SO sick of breaking my really cool stuff icon_lol.gif so if I at least give an idea of what my prices are, I am hoping maybe half of these psychos will give it a rest.

I have taken IndiDebs advice to charge one price ~ regardless of what the event it is......*however*, (and I can totally see a true beating via keyboard coming on....... icon_cry.gif ) I decided to give a slight break on the price as the cakes get bigger. I'm not sure why but I did and I am okay with it.

My problem is that in using the Earlene chart for serving to factor the prices of round v. square (I am only listing my 'starting' prices for round cakes, sizes 6". 8". 10". 12". & 14") but I wanted to make sure my formula for price per area was consistent............ I am a total nerd, I know.

It seems like the serving size, which should remain constant, goes down as the cake sizes become bigger. Does anyone understand what I am talking about? (all round cakes, btw.)

For instance her 8" cake serves 15 and has an area-per-serving of 3.3 but the 10" serving 30 has an area-per-serving of 2.6. Why is that? Did I totally screw up the algebra ~ please tell me if I did~ Because I am in charge of homework at my house so If I am doing this wrong, I need to know because I am corrupting 4 kids. icon_biggrin.gif

******btw, I was using the equation of pi X r2(radius squared) to determine circular area.[/u]

9 replies
momsandraven Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 5:33am
post #2 of 10

Your formula is correct. Your kids homework assignments are safe. icon_smile.gif Some people calculate servings by the number of cups of batter used. Others draw lines on their pans to come up with servings. Perhaps there were extra 'wedges' at the corners that were not large enough to be considered a 'serving' on the 8" in Earlene's method. That would give the illusion of a larer surface area per serving, when in fact there is a small amount of waste w/ the 8" round. I don't actually know any of that for sure (except that it is mathematically sound), it's just my guess. icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 10

Here's my thought.. if you order 500 business cards with your prices on the back.. and then you want to change those prices before you have given out all of your cards.. then you are stuck with X amount of cards with the wrong price.. and then there are people out there with your old cards who see your prices listed as X/serving and can't see why it's not the same as that. I recommend not listing prices on brochures or business cards for this reason.

Let them call you or e-mail you with inquiries.. it's part of being in the business. You can say no.. I can't make you your perfect huge cake for $75, but I can make you this for this amount. It's easier to sell yourself when you have that interaction between you and your customers.

alicegop Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 10

Did you try my cake matrix? I'm attaching my updated version... but shhhh, I still need to tweak a few things, like the layer feature doesn't work.

Anyway, I use that to determine my pricing, I find it very helpful.

leily Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 10

I will post later today or tomorrow, but I will admit I am a math nerd... love it (except algebra)

I figure all of my cakes on 8 cubic inches of cake. so that is either 2x2x2 or 1x2x4 inch servings. However to figure pricing I figure up the cubic area of the cake and then divide by 8 to get my true servings for figuring price. (which are pretty close to wilton's wedding servings)

But then I use a range of servings (party to wedding) when telling my customer how many they feed.

I will check back with you later (heading off to class atm and wont' be home till after midnight)

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 10

Crud.....I am so undecided about posting the prices. Here is the problem (undoubtedly created by posting prices in the first place). I made a bunch of postcards about 3 years ago with prices on the back and some people still have them. Particularly one woman and I advised her the prices have changed (gas, eggs, yada, yada, yada....)

She didn't object but she asked for updated cards. She works at a business and they often come to me for company b-day cakes, etc. I totally see your point AND I agree.

I wonder if there is a compromise..... on the back of the card I am putting "Round cakes start at" and also I put 'prices subject to change' at the bottom. It looks nice, not rude or anything. I could even put 2008 on them so when I update again, it's clear the prices are a year old?

What do you think? I am not a good sell on the phone.....maybe that's why I want the prices on the cards. I am a big chicken poop and don't believe I'm worth what I'm charging.... icon_cry.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

My personal opinion is if you really want to print the prices/price ranges, then do it; but like you just mentioned, date the prices so you and your clientele will know when those prices were in effect. Make sure to add a notation that 'prices are subject to change without notice so please call to confirm/quote' or something along those lines.

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 10

Oh, about the math thing. There is some fluxuation so I decided to create my own. Wiltons is way too small and some are sort of big so her is what I did.

I decided what I would charge per size of cake (regardless of event) and then created a range of servings based on this funky equation....2.25 square inches for a 'wedding' serving and 3.25 for a party serving. Here is how it will break down.

6" (28.26 area) serves 9-12 $20

8" (50.24 area) serves 15-22 $30

10" (78.5 area) serves 24-35 $50

12" (113 area) serves 35-50 $65

14" (154 area) serves 47-68 $90

16" (201 area) serves 62-89 $120

18" (254 area) serves 78-112

I started a different thread with prices as well hoping all you lovely people would review and tell me what you think of this system. I do have a tendancy to overthink things (DUH!!) but I think I found something that will work for me. Here it is and thank you!

miss_sweetstory Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 10

My husband (who wants you to know that he is a GEEK, rather than a nerd) has reviewed your math and said that it is correct. (In real life he is a Space Systems Engineer, so I believe him...Me, I can handle multiplication tables to 12, but that's about it.)

Regarding your pricing, I am all for printing it with an end date...or a "prices good through" date.

CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Mar 2008 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by miss_sweetstory

My husband (who wants you to know that he is a GEEK, rather than a nerd) has reviewed your math and said that it is correct. (In real life he is a Space Systems Engineer, so I believe him...Me, I can handle multiplication tables to 12, but that's about it.)

Regarding your pricing, I am all for printing it with an end date...or a "prices good through" date.

icon_smile.gif ok, geek...... well thanks for having him check it out. I ordered the cards last night and put "2008 ~ prices subject to change" at the bottom so I have an 'out'. I also put that the cakes 'start at....' so they will, hopefully, realize they can't get basketweave with cream cheese filling and sugar flowers for the printed price, lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%