Storing Cake Boxes

Business By mellormom Updated 20 Mar 2008 , 7:25pm by alicegop

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 11

How do you guys store you cake boxes? I have shelves but they are to short and the boxes hang over the end. So I was trying to think of another way to store them. I thought of a paper cart but they are $600. So since that is out of the question I though of asking you guys.
Thanks!
Jen...

10 replies
fluttercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fluttercakes Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 11

I second this request! I have tons still sitting in the boxes they came in just leaning against the wall. I don't know what else to do with them. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 11

Well, my way may not be the best, but it works for me until something better comes along.

I have all my boxes, ranging in size from 2# candy up to 14x20 in a giant 50 gallon plastic storage container. There's a block of styrofoam in the back and my oversized cooling racks in the front to prevent the boxes from sliding down.

Whenever I get new boxes, I always write the size on the bottom in black marker before storing them. That way, I can just flip through - like a file cabinet - until I find the size I need.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 11

I have plastic shelves set up. All my cake boxes and cake boards fit on the shelves. Except for my half sheet boxes, I don't have any problems. My shelves are 36" wide by 24" deep and I keep them in my garage. I take my boxes out of the box they come in so it is easier to access them.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 11

I'm glad this question came up! I have my boxes in big plastic bags leaning against the wall in my cake supply/guest room closet and just not happy with that. But I haven't room for a huge tub in there. Will have to do some figuring and find something better. It's just my few big ones, I have the smaller ones in a drawer.

Thanks for asking this!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone! Glad my question helped others as well. Any other ideas are welcome too. I like both ideas here but I just don't know if I have the room. I'll have to think about it. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 11

we made a check out counter in the front.....it is open in the back....and we made a big shelf on the bottom of the inside that holds them all....it is really handy

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 11

Does anyone know where to get a rack to hold the boxes like the one they have at Michaels? I was thinking about that this weekend.

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 7:07pm
post #9 of 11

I also have this problem. I currently store them on wire rack shelves, but the larger ones hang over and to get to the other sizes is tough. I am not that strong! it is a chore to get ONE full size cake box that is under the 14's and 12's and 10's!

I think I am going to build in my attic (so it won't be movable) where I get 2x4's and make a frame. Slap a piece of plywood (nail). Then make a 3 sided frame of 2x4's that are sitting on their side so I get the max height out of it and slap plywood on that. repeat.... I'll make a flap for the front out of fabric or something.....

I would love a better idea though!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 11

I am not sure if it would work with all the individual needs I am reading....but the only thing I can think of would be a box that is used to ship print/art work that would be narrow and long for the boxes to be store flat. This box could fit in the bottom the a closet, in between your washer/dryer, etc. it is tall and narrow. You can probably find them at a shipping store.....just a thought!!!

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwithana

I am not sure if it would work with all the individual needs I am reading....but the only thing I can think of would be a box that is used to ship print/art work that would be narrow and long for the boxes to be store flat. This box could fit in the bottom the a closet, in between your washer/dryer, etc. it is tall and narrow. You can probably find them at a shipping store.....just a thought!!!

well, a garbage bag would work just as well. The problem is the number of boxes that you want easy access to. I have 4x4, 7x7, 10x10, 12x12, 14x14, 16x16, quarter, half and full sheet....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%