Letter Cutters

Decorating By doreenre Updated 17 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm by ShaunaCann

doreenre Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 16

I've been using the small Wilton letter cutters, but without fail, everytime I try to remove the fondant from the cutter, it gets stuck. Then I end up with impressions from the tool that I used to get it out with.

I've dusted heavily w/ ps beforehand, etc., but it still gets stuck! Do they work easier with gumpaste?

I've recently ordered Tappits. I hope those are better.

15 replies
sugarshack Posted 13 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 16

yep, those wilton ones stink

SweetToothFairy Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 6:54am
post #3 of 16

agreed...i have the same problem. ugh!

mcalhoun Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 7:19am
post #4 of 16

The only way I have been able to get to work a LITTLE better is after dusting my fondant and my cutter I let the fondant sit for a couple of minutes it helps a little bit.

Briarview Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:35am
post #5 of 16

Are you just using plain fondant or have you added gum trag or tylose? With those added it is much better. Roll out the gumpaste and let sit for a few seconds then cut out letters. I use a small pin to lightly lift them out. Another thing is I use spray oil in the tappit before cutting out. Don't have much luck dusting them. Also paste must not be rolled too thick. I had trouble at first but now no problems after lots of practice. Good Luck.

banba Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 8:48am
post #6 of 16

I just got letter cutters a while back and had some trouble too.

I found what worked best was to roll the gumpaste or fondant really thin. The instructions say until you can read small print underneath well don't stop there roll it a bit thinner again.

Then let the fondant sit for about 5 mins, then try cutting.

I also let it sit in the cutter for another few minutes then tap them out.

tracey1970 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 16

When I took the Fondant and Gumpaste class, we were told to rub shortening on all our cutters, cutting tools, etc. Would rubbing a tiny bit of shortening on each letter before you stamp it into the fondant make a difference? I haven't tried the letter set yet, so I don't know if this works, or not.

Finesse457 Posted 15 Mar 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 16

I found spraying Pam on them helps a little too.

mariahuertas Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #9 of 16

After use it, i dust the letter with cornstarch, no problem at all, good luck!

lecrn Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:26am
post #10 of 16

I bought some metal letter cutters intended for cutting clay. I think that they are easier to work with than the plastic ones. I just bought some patchwork cutter numbers, and I'm not too impressed how they look (haven't tried them yet).

tracey1970 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 12:37am
post #11 of 16

The Wilton letter cutters are metal - are those the ones you are using, doreenre?

tracycakes Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:12am
post #12 of 16

I had the very same problem and almost gave up. Thinner was helping so I ended up leaving it a little thicker, about 1/8" and it seemed to help. I used PS to dust with but cornstarch might be better. I haven't tried that.

luelue1971 Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:18am
post #13 of 16

The letter B is especially difficult and of course I'm always trying to to Birthday.

TheButterWench Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 2:26am
post #14 of 16

cover your fondant with a piece of seran wrap and then press the Wilton Metal Alphabet cutters into the fondant, you will see how much easier it will come out

doreenre Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:20pm
post #15 of 16

cover your fondant with a piece of seran wrap and then press the Wilton Metal Alphabet cutters into the fondant, you will see how much easier it will come out

The Saran Wrap sounds like a great idea! I'll try it!

ShaunaCann Posted 17 Mar 2008 , 4:28pm
post #16 of 16

Saran Wrap - what a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%