Wrapping A Cake In Chocolate By Shirleyw

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 8:27pm by ellavanilla

CranberryClo Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:10pm
post #151 of 222

That's why cupcakes - ice the ones for your family with regular BC and then add a bit of espresso to the icing for the last two or three. Then you have espresso for you and regular for them!!! Depending on how quick you eat them, you have cupcakes for one, two or three days with your type of icing. Where there's a will, there's a way!

stalbertsusie Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:02pm
post #152 of 222

I have to declare my first attempt at a wrap a success. I have added a picture. You all give very good advice. I am looking forward to trying one with a chocolate transfer.
LL

ShirleyW Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:42pm
post #153 of 222

You did a great job on your frst try, YAY for you! Now, tell me about the cake jewelry at the base. It looks like a stretchable netting with jewels? I would love to buy some of that. Could you share where you buy it, please?

stalbertsusie Posted 11 Aug 2007 , 9:58pm
post #154 of 222

Thanks so much Shirley, you were definitely an inspiration. That is some ribbon I got last Christmas at Pier One. I bought a bunch because I liked it so much. Unfortunately I did not realize how off center my cake was until I removed the parchment. I was way too scared to try to reposition it with the wrap on. I will definitely be more careful next time! icon_smile.gif

Hollyanna70 Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 2:26am
post #155 of 222

That is beautiful, susie! I love that ribbon too, very nice touch.

I can't wait to try this myself. Mine probably won't be higher than the cake, though. I bought some cake collars, and they're exactly 4 inches tall. I'm going to see if I can get those to work. icon_smile.gif

Well, sometime in September, when I can start playing around again.. hehe


Holly

yellobutterfly Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 7:20pm
post #156 of 222

This is fascinating, I can't wait to try it! I just had a few questions for all you pros:

1) has anyone used the wilton chocolate pot to melt the chocolate for the wrap? I have one and was wondering if it would be ok for this project

2) what do you mean the chocolate "bloomed"? (not familiar with this term, lol)

3) what are your favorite flavor combinations for cake/filling when combined with a chocolate wrap? I want to do a wrap in milk chocolate and was wondering what would be a yummy cake/filling combo for that?

Thanks!

melysa Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:08pm
post #157 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

This is fascinating, I can't wait to try it! I just had a few questions for all you pros:

1) has anyone used the wilton chocolate pot to melt the chocolate for the wrap? I have one and was wondering if it would be ok for this project

2) what do you mean the chocolate "bloomed"? (not familiar with this term, lol)

3) what are your favorite flavor combinations for cake/filling when combined with a chocolate wrap? I want to do a wrap in milk chocolate and was wondering what would be a yummy cake/filling combo for that?

Thanks!




i'm not a "pro" but maybe i can help.

1. i have not tried the melting pot, but it seems to me to be an unnecessary step. i put the chocolate in a plastic cup, microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and another 15 seconds or so, stir vigorously and its plenty melted. still body temperature, not hot, but melted.

2. blooming...the sugar crystalizes, causing white coloring on the chocolate. still ok to eat, just looks ugly.

3. my FAVORITE cake w/ a wrap... kate sullivan/margaret braun (from their books) chocolate cake with whipped MILK chocolate ganache (equal parts boiled heavy whipping cream/ melted chocolate, chilled , whipped) and a milk chocolate wrap. SO yummy! this cake is so super moist and flavorful. recipe:

One Delicious Chocolate Cake (Kate Sullivan)

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour sides and bottoms of pans. Set pans aside.

In large bowl of mixer, stir together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda. Stir in the sugar.

In small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and coffee. Divide batter evenly among pans.

Bake at 350 for around 50 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling rack.

ShirleyW Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 8:52pm
post #158 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyanna70

That is beautiful, susie! I love that ribbon too, very nice touch.

I can't wait to try this myself. Mine probably won't be higher than the cake, though. I bought some cake collars, and they're exactly 4 inches tall. I'm going to see if I can get those to work. icon_smile.gif

Well, sometime in September, when I can start playing around again.. hehe


Holly




It will still work Holly but what I would suggest if you are using something like dipped strawberries would be to extend the tips of the berries out just over the edge of the wrap and then fill in the center.

melysa Posted 26 Aug 2007 , 11:08pm
post #159 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

2) what do you mean the chocolate "bloomed"? (not familiar with this term, lol)

Thanks!




this was my first try with chocolate- it bloomed. just to show you what blooming looks like.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=310123

yellobutterfly Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:15am
post #160 of 222

Thanks for sharing melysa, I have GOT to try that chocolate cake and ganache recipe - yummo!! Just to be sure I understand - for the whipped ganache, I melt the milk chocolate first, then combine w/ heavy cream & boil? Like 1 cup milk choc chips to 1 cup heavy cream, or is it 1 cup melted chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream? (not trying to make this difficult, it just occured to me that there might be a difference after the choc was melted....)How long do I boil for? Then chill (how long)? And then just whip? Then ice cake with the whipped as if it were buttercream? Sounds soooooo good!!

yellobutterfly Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:20am
post #161 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalbertsusie

Thanks so much Shirley, you were definitely an inspiration. That is some ribbon I got last Christmas at Pier One. I bought a bunch because I liked it so much. Unfortunately I did not realize how off center my cake was until I removed the parchment. I was way too scared to try to reposition it with the wrap on. I will definitely be more careful next time! icon_smile.gif




stalbertsusie - you used parchment instead of acetate/mylar? Did it hold up/work well for you? The reason I ask is I have bulk parchment on hand so it would be easier/cheaper than going out and getting something.

Also, someone mentioned freezer paper shiny side for making shapes (I think it was melysa, not sure) - does anyone know if freezer paper would also work in place of the mylar/acetate?

Thanks for all the input everyone!!

alanahodgson Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:25am
post #162 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Thanks for sharing melysa, I have GOT to try that chocolate cake and ganache recipe - yummo!! Just to be sure I understand - for the whipped ganache, I melt the milk chocolate first, then combine w/ heavy cream & boil? Like 1 cup milk choc chips to 1 cup heavy cream, or is it 1 cup melted chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream? (not trying to make this difficult, it just occured to me that there might be a difference after the choc was melted....)How long do I boil for? Then chill (how long)? And then just whip? Then ice cake with the whipped as if it were buttercream? Sounds soooooo good!!




To make ganache you put chocolate chips or chopped chocolate in a bowl and set aside. You boil the cream then pour it over the chocolate. the heat of the cream will melt the chocolate.

melysa Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 6:19am
post #163 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Thanks for sharing melysa, I have GOT to try that chocolate cake and ganache recipe - yummo!! Just to be sure I understand - for the whipped ganache, I melt the milk chocolate first, then combine w/ heavy cream & boil? Like 1 cup milk choc chips to 1 cup heavy cream, or is it 1 cup melted chocolate to 1 cup heavy cream? (not trying to make this difficult, it just occured to me that there might be a difference after the choc was melted....)How long do I boil for? Then chill (how long)? And then just whip? Then ice cake with the whipped as if it were buttercream? Sounds soooooo good!!




alana explained it well, here is just a tad more detail.

2 cups heavy whipping cream
one 12oz bag (2 cups) milk chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

place chocolate in a metal or glass bowl (they conduct heat best) and set aside. in a saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to a simmer, stirring constantly. remove from heat and pour cream over the chocolate so that it is submerged. DONT STIR for 2 minutes, let it sit. THEN whisk until chocolate is fully melted. (i used to stir right away and always had problems with chunks left, then i saw alton browns show on the food network and heard him say this. since then, ive done it this way and dont have the problem anymore). cover with plastic and chill for 4 to 6 hours or overnight. whip with electric handmixer or whisk attachment on a stand mixer until its thickened and holds a peak, but dont overwhip or it will begin to break down and look curdled. fill and frost your cake right away, or chill until you need it. milk chocolate ganache wont harden like bittersweet or semisweet ganache because there is a lower cacoa percentage in it. this wont crust so smooth it as best you can ...mainly on the top since you'll not see the sides when you do the chocolate wrap. chill the frosted cake until youre ready to place the wrap on.


i dont think i was the one who mentioned freezer paper - shiney side etc....

but, i did do a couple wraps with parchment paper. they were mini tiers, 2" on top of 3" cakes , and have more of a rustic look because they were no where as straight as when i used mylar plastic. i didnt really mind the rustic look on them, guess it just depends on the look you are going for.

if you cant find mylar, you can check at walmart, hobby lobby or joanns fabric, i have never been able to get the rolls of mylar so i buy the blank mylar plastic stencil sheets and cut and tape strips to get the height and length i need.


http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=520913

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=593483

yellobutterfly Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:37pm
post #164 of 222

Thanks melysa and alanahodgson for clearing that up! yum!

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:10am
post #165 of 222

Just curious if any of you that have done these chocolate wraps have wrapped one around an actual cheesecake yet? It sounds yummy, just wasn't sure if it would work as well? thx

Hollyanna70 Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 6:08am
post #166 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

It will still work Holly but what I would suggest if you are using something like dipped strawberries would be to extend the tips of the berries out just over the edge of the wrap and then fill in the center.




Thanks for the tip, Shirley!

I probably won't be doing anything spectacular, though. Much like my cigarello cake, it will just be me playing around, then sending the leftovers to my husband's work, so it'll probably just be icing and chocolate, instead of tasty berries. Just for practice.

I will remember what you said, though, so if I ever do make it for a party, or special occasion, I know how to do it right. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again,

Holly

melysa Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 2:37pm
post #167 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Just curious if any of you that have done these chocolate wraps have wrapped one around an actual cheesecake yet? It sounds yummy, just wasn't sure if it would work as well? thx




i've not done that, but i assume its the same concept, so i dont see why it couldnt work. you would likely still need some sort of frosting on the sides. i'd do something simple like this:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

yellobutterfly Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:14pm
post #168 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

Just curious if any of you that have done these chocolate wraps have wrapped one around an actual cheesecake yet? It sounds yummy, just wasn't sure if it would work as well? thx



i've not done that, but i assume its the same concept, so i dont see why it couldnt work. you would likely still need some sort of frosting on the sides. i'd do something simple like this:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html




Is that (the icing) just so the chocolate will have something to stick to/adhere to better?
thx

melysa Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:26pm
post #169 of 222

yup.

MrsAB Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:31pm
post #170 of 222

Looking forward to trying. Thanks Shirley!

rits Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 12:26am
post #171 of 222

Hi Shirley & all,

How long can these cakes sit in the fridge after the choc wrap is done? Would you leave the mylar/acetate on until you are ready to take it out & serve? Or take the mylar off & let the chocolate sit in the fridge exposed to the air/moisture, etc.....

I've done a few of these in the past, but am now planning to fill the top w/ fresh fruit & need to chill it until the customer picks it up.

And lastly, should the client chill it at her location until service, or can these sit around at room temp (while the BC - I use IMBC, which has always worked fine in the past - & inside of cake warms up) without collapsing or some such tragedy?

Thanks!

Jen N

melysa Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:20am
post #172 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by rits

Hi Shirley & all,

How long can these cakes sit in the fridge after the choc wrap is done? Would you leave the mylar/acetate on until you are ready to take it out & serve? Or take the mylar off & let the chocolate sit in the fridge exposed to the air/moisture, etc.....

I've done a few of these in the past, but am now planning to fill the top w/ fresh fruit & need to chill it until the customer picks it up.

And lastly, should the client chill it at her location until service, or can these sit around at room temp (while the BC - I use IMBC, which has always worked fine in the past - & inside of cake warms up) without collapsing or some such tragedy?

Thanks!

Jen N




i've chilled these overnight (withought the plastic on) and i've also let them sit out. the chocolate isnt going to melt, it'll just be like keeping a bag of chocolate chips in the pantry...solid its not going to splinter and fall apart. so you'll do fine to have the cake sit out for a couple of hours while the imbc warms. even if you have fruit on top, it should be ok for several hours. i would suggest to refirgerate though if they wouldnt be eating it within a few hours just to keep the fruit as fresh as possible.

annacakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm
post #173 of 222

Stephanie214, your instructions are excellent. I had no trouble visualizing this technique - it was completely clear. Well done. And thanks. I WILL be trying this.

GI Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:31pm
post #174 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Thanks for posting that for me Stephanie. I wish I had step by step photos to go along with it but I live alone and no one to take pictures as I work. There are several chocolate wrap cakes in my photo gallery and other CC members have done some beautiful wraps as well. Here are a couple I did awhile back. It is a very easy way to make a simple cake look elegant.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=88

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=18




Hi - I've been keeping a close eye on this thread - looks fantastic and perhaps something a novice like myself could attempt! Shirley these photos are 'gone', couldn't open them up!

Question - have other types of deco that could be place on the top or just regular icing if didn't want fresh fruit? Any ideas there?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #175 of 222

Isn't that strange? The pictures are still in my gallery. Only thng I can think of is that link was posted before the forum and gallery were updated. Here they are again, lets see if they work this time.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=81868

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=526513


http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=69881

melysa Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #176 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI


Question - have other types of deco that could be place on the top or just regular icing if didn't want fresh fruit? Any ideas there?

Thanks icon_smile.gif




shirleys got some really pretty ones with chocolate ruffles on top ...you can do chocolate curls or shavings, fresh flowers, big swirls of icing, fondant "bubbles" rolled in luster dust, chocolate malt balls, the possibilities are endless. its what ever YOU want to put on top. you can also just do a nice smooth top , wrap in chocolate and call it a day. it doesnt have to be "busy" to look elegant.

here are a few i did that i put something other than fruit on top.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=474003

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=897173

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=593483

this one has fruit, but it i also used a butterfly to compliment the floral transfer sheet on the wrap. you can use a decoration like that without the berries.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=835753

its really about finding the look YOU like and having fun with it.

GI Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:52am
post #177 of 222

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif sometimes I can visualize the end of it if I'm not too overloaded with the "greatness" of it all!! hee hee

Thanks Shirley the link to the photos came up this time!! Definitely looks very delicious!!

I can't wait to try this!! Gee, so many cakes, so little time!!! Thanks for all the ideas on what types of chocoloate to use & also the fillings to put in the middle!

I think if I can master a choco wrap cake, that will become my 2nd favorate (right after the WASC!) thumbs_up.gif Gwen

rosita6882 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 11:17pm
post #178 of 222

This sounds like fun. Can't wait to try it. Thanks.

nmrunyon Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:48am
post #179 of 222

Going out tomorrow to look for the mylar. icon_biggrin.gif

SCS Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 2:33pm
post #180 of 222

Thanks for all the advice in this thread! I made my first chocolate wrap cakes last week (in photos) and it was sooooooo easy!!! I couldn't believe it!

I just wish everyone wanted that cakes decorated like this!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%