Wrapping A Cake In Chocolate By Shirleyw

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 13 Mar 2014 , 8:27pm by ellavanilla

icedbycarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedbycarrie Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 3:32pm
post #31 of 222

I definitely will. Is the mylar heavier than the kind they make balloons with? I'm trying to get an idea of what weight to look for. Thanks!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:03am
post #32 of 222

Yes, it is a completely different texture than Mylar balloons. It is a clear rigid plastic sheet that comes in different thicknesses and is usually on a large bolt like fabric, it sells by length and width. I buy it at a plastics supply store in my area called Tap Plastics, I don't know if they are strictly a California based company, but you may also be able to find it at an art supply store.

icedbycarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedbycarrie Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:23pm
post #33 of 222

aha... it all makes sense now! thanks again, you've been extremely helpful. icon_smile.gif

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #34 of 222

I've done a few these the past couple weeks, and it's so easy! Just a little effort, and the results are wonderful!!!

I love this new technique, and really hope that someone picks a wedding cake with a chocolate collar soon!

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 11 Feb 2007 , 10:25pm
post #35 of 222

Hi there, have you try using parchment paper? I did and it works so much better than tin foil or wax paper. I did a cake last Christmas for a friend at work with chocolate over chocolate ganache & wrap with poker dot chocolate band. The parchment paper is a snap to unwrap. Try it.

MarciaStewart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarciaStewart Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:49am
post #36 of 222

I can't wait to try this. I love chocolate and am so excited to find another form of it. I wouldn't even know what mylar was, except for I work for a civil engineering company now. We use mylar to print final drafts of plans/maps. It holds up and doesn't turn yellow and crumble with age like paper does. We buy ours from OCB, a reprographics company. If you cant find it at an art store, maybe look in a phone book to find one in your area.
Have you ever tried Ghiradelli choclate for this technique? I use it for my cake balls and love the stuff!!

nl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nl3 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:19pm
post #37 of 222

I am glad that I can help. Try it and let me know how it turn out. I have not made any cake balls yet but I have saved up some cake scrapes from the last cake decoration job I had. icon_biggrin.gif

nazlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nazlie Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 2:12pm
post #38 of 222

Thanks so much for sharing, can't wait to try it..

jojo12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo12 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:01pm
post #39 of 222

I can't wait to give this technique a try. I did have a question: after putting the chocolate on the sides, do you cut a circle and put a layer of chocolate on the top, if not do you just leave it iced in BC?

ShirleyW Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:15pm
post #40 of 222

Jojo I wouldn't make the circle of chocolate for the top, it would just shatter when you cut the cake and be kind of messy. You could make chocolate curls or shavings to fill it the top if you wanted to.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:39pm
post #41 of 222

What I'm wondering is how do you lift it up to attach to the bottom first without the whole thing giving way? I mean how do you handle the chocolate for the entire cake while putting on the first half without it slipping and folding in on itself. Do you get what I'm trying to say? I can see me picking it up and folds up or something, it sounds yummo, now how do you make those ciagello things around the edge of the other cakes? Thanks you all are GREAT. I'm wanting to learn more, I've been away from it for 15 years and it's like I know nothing. icon_cry.gif

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 9:53pm
post #42 of 222

I just tried this yesterday and was thrilled with the results. I used a thick vinyl and candy melts and it worked perfectly. The only problem I had was that I put too much chocolate on but other than making a mess of my countertop it still came out great.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:44pm
post #43 of 222

so what kind of choc. is everyone using?
how are you melting the choc.?

also, how did they get the colored stripes on the cake? im lost.

i deff. want to try the choc. wrap out.

ShirleyW Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #44 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

What I'm wondering is how do you lift it up to attach to the bottom first without the whole thing giving way? I mean how do you handle the chocolate for the entire cake while putting on the first half without it slipping and folding in on itself. Do you get what I'm trying to say? I can see me picking it up and folds up or something, it sounds yummo, now how do you make those ciagello things around the edge of the other cakes? Thanks you all are GREAT. I'm wanting to learn more, I've been away from it for 15 years and it's like I know nothing. icon_cry.gif

First of all you need something strong enough like the Mylar plastic. It can't be too thin or it wobbles and will leave waves in the set chocolate. Too stiff and it will try and pop off the cake before the chocolate has set. You pick the wrap up carefully by pinching the two top corners between your thumbs and index or middle fingers. Get the bottom edge in as close as possible to the side of the cake, rest it on the cake board for stability now move the top of the wrap in towards the sides of the cake and it will attach itself. Then move your arms in opposite directions around the side of the cake and attach the edge in the back of the cake. Where you left smudges in the top corner of the plastic from your fingers, just spread a tiny bit of chocolate to cover it. Carefully wipe the top edge of the wrap off with your fingertip to neaten the edge, but don't push down on the wrap or in, it will distort the wrap. People have a tendency to want to smooth the sides of the wrap with their hands, the way you would a fondant cake. DON'T do that! If you do you will leave wavy lines in the hardened wrap.

The chocolate cigarellos can be made by hand but they are very time consuming and it is difficult to get them all the exact same width and height, I buy mine premade. Scroll down to LU Chocolate Pencils. They are 8" tall, I cut them with a sharp knife that has been warmed slightly so they are just a bit over 4" tall to cover the sides of a 4" cake. The leftover pieces can be used to fill in the top of the cake.
http://marquefoods.com/chocdecor.htm

ShirleyW Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 10:18pm
post #45 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtcakes

so what kind of choc. is everyone using?
how are you melting the choc.?

also, how did they get the colored stripes on the cake? im lost.

i deff. want to try the choc. wrap out.

If you read the instructions for the wrap I believe I posted that I use Guittards semi sweet chocolate chips, 12 oz. bag and I add about 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil to the melted chocolate to give it pliability and some shine. You can use tempered chocolate but it isn't vital for a wrap. Melt the chocolate slowly, and don't overheat it. I use a double boiler but don't let it steam or it will cause the chocolate to seize or harden into a solid mass.

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:29pm
post #46 of 222

isnt there other kinds of choc. that a person can buy locally?

ShirleyW Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:33pm
post #47 of 222

I don't live in your area, are there shops there that sell bulk chocolate? Is there a certain type you are looking for? There are many online sources for ordering chocolate. Surely they have chocolate chips in your grocery stores, if they don't have Guittards try Ghirardelli or Nestles. This is just a chocolate wrap, it really doesn't have to be made of quality tempered chocolate unless that is your preference.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:50pm
post #48 of 222

oolala, you posted a pic on the first page of this thread that has stripes. how in the world did they do that? ive heard of the chocolate wraps, but have never even attempted it. how would you get the stripes so perfect?

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 3:48pm
post #49 of 222

eriksmom- i read in another post about this that they use a pastry comb to achieve the multiple color.

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/three_color_pastry_comb_1026496.htm

and here is the link to the post where i found this in.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21858&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

HTH!

thank you Stephanie and Shirley for the tutorial.

edited to add:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21858&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #50 of 222

Warning: stupid question coming in....do you take the chocolate collar out before cutting the cake? If you take it out before cutting, how does the cake look without it, will it be a smooth finish. I'm just worried about how the served piece would look. Thank you.

ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #51 of 222

No, you cut the cake with the collar in place. Use a sharp knife that has been heted under hot running water and wiped dry. It will help the blade slice through the chocolate without too much shattering.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:22pm
post #52 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksmom

oolala, you posted a pic on the first page of this thread that has stripes. how in the world did they do that? ive heard of the chocolate wraps, but have never even attempted it. how would you get the stripes so perfect?

i imagine that the stripes are a chocolate transfer sheet ...to my understanding, colored cocoa butter on a sheet that you place on top of warm melted chocolate...when it cools and the sheet is peeled away, the cocoa butter designs stick to the chocolate. in the picture that was posted with the stripes, you can see on the coil at the side, that the underside is plain white chocolate, thats why i think it must have been a transfer.

ShirleyW Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 10:58pm
post #53 of 222

The way I did these was to spread melted white chocolate on my Mylar, scrape through it with a chocolate scraper made for doing striped chocolate cigarellos, I used sort of a wave design, pipe melted chocolate in a contrasting color on the clear lines, wrap the cake and chill, remove the wrap. You could use a pastry comb if you have one with a wide enough space between the teeth.
This is not a great example because I didn't have a piece of Mylar long enough to wrap all the way around the cake, I did it in two pieces or sections and of course the lines did not match up perfectly.
LL

Katskakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 12:58am
post #54 of 222

Shirley - say whaaaat? wow your cake looks great!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
you know i've been wondering if the cake comb i have would be good to make the lines?! i have the wilton's one. Shirley where did you get the pastry comb from? the one i found is mighty pricey, but i imagine is good for someone who always does cakes and other nice pastries.

ShirleyW Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:18am
post #55 of 222

Aha! I found it. After all these years I wasn't sure what to look for. I still use that blue handled scraper to smooth the sides of my cake when I ice it.
http://www.pastrychef.com/Catalog/chocolate_cigarette_kit_389840.htm

And let me tell you, the directions for making the striped chocolate cigrellos sound easy when you read them. Not so easy when you actually do them. It is all key to the amount of time you allow the chocolate to set. Not long enough you get globs of semi set chocolate wadded up around the blade of the scraper. Let it set too long and it splinters into long separate pieces in front of the blade. It's really trial and error and learning exactly when the right moment is for pushing that chocolate away from you into rolls or cigarellos.

Katskakes Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #56 of 222

thanks for the link! looks pretty cool. something worth trying. did you see the link i posted above, same site it's a larger comb though. Ok thanks again for all the information you provide! you are wonderful.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 17 Mar 2007 , 1:47am
post #57 of 222

I have yet to try this. I have the instructions in my idea keeper, but hadn't taken the time to test it out. Now that this new thread has renewed this great method, I'll just have to give it a go!

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:19am
post #58 of 222

I just wanted to post a pic here of my latest chocolate wrap. Thansk to ShirleyW I learned how to do them, now I want to try the stripes! Next time!
LL

ShirleyW Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 12:25am
post #59 of 222

Isn't that beautiful! I am proud of you! It looks like a winter snow fall on some beautiful spring strawberries.

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 1:23am
post #60 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Isn't that beautiful! I am proud of you! It looks like a winter snow fall on some beautiful spring strawberries.

Thank you so much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%