Very Bummed In Ca

Business By Scibaker Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm by jennifer7777

Scibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scibaker Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

So I just finished my last Wilton cake course last night and I feel I'm making good progress. My sort of life long dream has been to do cakes from home. I've known so many people that have done this. And then, my instructor says "You know, don't let the Health Dept find out about this or you'll get fined, etc" My husband is a stickler for rules and regs and he won't let me do this if this is illegal! I'm so bummed!!!! What to do?!

4 replies
Vreeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vreeke Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 5

Don't get discouraged, everyone starts off baking at home. Start making cakes for your family and friends, if they would like to give you a donation $$ that's OK. Once word gets out that you make cakes, you will start getting orders and then you can always rent kitchen space from a caterer or other licensed kitchen.
Where are you located in California?
Good luck and have fun,
Lori V.

Scibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scibaker Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the encouraging word! I'm near Fresno.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

don't be discouraged...you are looking at it like you can't bake at all in your kitchen....as long as you don't advertise you are selling your cakes....you are fine.....even by word of mouth....you can bake for anyone as long as you are not saying out loud what you charge.....how does the heath dept know its not for family??? unless you say so....so you go and bake your heart away to family and friends!!!!!

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

Hey Cali people!!! I'm in Carson. Lori V., I like the way you put it. I think it's true that everyone starts off baking from home. And what's wrong if you get a "donation" here and there for your efforts?
Scibaker, I understand how you feel though. It's a bummer that we can't sell from home. Years ago, the rules were different. Anyway, we just have to be creative in our approach to getting our cakes out there. At least for me, that's what I have to do until I open my own cake studio one day.
Happy baking and decoratin you guys. icon_razz.gif

Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%