Airbrush Users???

Decorating By jdhelbling Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 11:46am by wendydou

jdhelbling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdhelbling Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 7

I am considering buying an airbrush and wanted to hear from people who have used them about whether it's worth it and how difficult or easy to use they are. Also, I would love to hear what people think about the different brands. I just started doing this as a hobby so I don't want to spend a ton of money but I also don't want a crappy one. Any help is appreciated!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

I am still doing research on what airbrush to buy, but I highly suggest doing a search of the forums for "Air brush" and "Air brush Brand" there are a lot of topics in the forums discussing the different ones and what is a good way to practice and which one to get based off of what type of decorating and how often you plan on using it.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 7

there are dozens of threads for the same question.

If you search airbrush and limit to titles you will find many.

here is one:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-539433-airbrush.html

shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

I got mine from airbrush city. I haven't used it a whole lot but I love it so far. I got the kit 144-GD100 airbrushing starter kit.

http://airbrushcity.com/kits24/popular_featured.htm

It is VERY easy to use thumbs_up.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 7

Airbrushing is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Bought mine at hobby lobby with 40% off coupon. I have used it to spray fondant, buttercream and fondant decorations before putting them on the cake. I think the colors are darker.

Worth every penny!!!

brea1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brea1026 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:53am
post #6 of 7

I got mine for my first wedding cake I did (300 servings ofbright orange cake!!!) I got it from airbrushcity.com for $160 total w/ shipping (to az). I LOVE mine! It is thegravity feed one and is totally easy to use. I think it saves so much time!

The only thing I would say is that if you use satin ice- watch out becuse that stuff cracks easily and will leave white streak i it does crack. I haven't had a single problem using it on MMF though.

HTH! =)

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:46am
post #7 of 7

how do you learn to airbrush?? I mean, are you guys artists before cake decorating so it's a natural ability to airbrush nicely or can anyone learn to do it?? I"m no artist! but I like the look - do they teach classes anywhere???

Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%