Anybody That Uses Wooden Skewers For Sticks

Baking By paintinggrams Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm by Melvira

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

Anybody that uses wooden skewers do you cut your skewers in half and if so how do you cut them without them splittingthem so you can use them in the cooies.

5 replies
cakesonoccasion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesonoccasion Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

I wait to cut them later- after the cookies have cooled- I just snip off what I don't need with gardening pruners and then use the leftover piece as a pic for my tissue in the bouquet!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #3 of 6

I actually get them in three different lengths, (I think 4", 6", and 8" if I'm not mistaken) so I don't have to cut them. Look around in your local grocery/WalMart, etc. and maybe you can find them too! It's nice to not have to cut them. HTH. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 6

I replied to this in a PM but thought I would post my reponse here also for others.

Linda - I put them in the cookies at full length. I use the sharpened end to go into the cookie which seems to help me from breaking the cookie apart.

One they are cooled and decorated I figure out how I want the cookies in the boquet by holding them up in front of the container. I put in the one I want as the tallest first. Check what length I want the others and then cut the skewer. This way anything that is split is going into the container.

I do not like to cut before hand b/c then I am kinda stuck with what height they can be at. And depending on how they are decorated or their shape I would never remember what height goes into what cookie. And I always make an extra cookie of each shape incase one of the others breaks, so if this happens then the stick might not be the right height either.

and my second repsonse since I forgot some information...
Forgot to mention in there that I snip just the last 1/16-1/8 inch off of the end. It still gives me the sharpened point but there isn't anything in there to hurt anyone. Also most people I have seen eat them pull the stick out of the cookie and eat the cookie like any other one.

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

you can cut the skewers easily with an unused doggy nail clipper

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomommy

you can cut the skewers easily with an unused doggy nail clipper

Hey, that's what I'm talking about! Excellent idea!! I love coming up with non-cake tools to use! Great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%