3D Cake ? ...

Decorating By andiesweet Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 10:08pm by mamacc

andiesweet Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a cake carved from4 or 5 9 inch layers, do I need to dowel any of these layers, or can i just stack them up with nothing between them?

Thanks Andie

4 replies
mamacc Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 5

I would probably put one board in there after the third layer and make sure to central dowel with the spike driven into the base.

leily Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 5

Anytime I carve I freeze all of my layers. I stack while frozen and carve. I then mark one side of my carved cake (usually just using a paring knife to cut down one side of the entire cake, just to line it back up again) Then I dis-assemble each layer, add filling or buttercream, and my rule of thumb is a cake board and dowels every 4" of cake. So if you are using 4 layers of cake (2" deep) then you would only need one cake board and then some dowels in the middle of the cake.

kakeladi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 5

Anytime layers are stacked up there should be a cake board & some type of doweling every 4"5" of heigth.
You are wanting to stack 8"-12" high. It definately needs support! Also.......a 9" round cake 8" high will be very top-heavy and unstable for any transporting/moving around icon_sad.gif

mamacc Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 5

I do usually put support boards every few layers but I have done cakes before that were 6-7 layers high with no boards, but using a large center dowel...I did my first big dino cake like this and it held up fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%