3D Dr. Pepper Can Cake

Decorating By Bwana Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 9:52am by vickymacd

Bwana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bwana Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 2:32am
post #1 of 6

My grandson has asked that we try to do this for his "absolute favorite teacher of all time" because he loves Dr Pepper and he wants to give him something special. How can I say no?

So I came to you, the experts, for advice. He wants it to stand up like a real can (of course...don't make it easy on me). And he wants it to look real (easier said than done).

HELP!!! I have never done a 3D before, so any advice on the construction would be great. I'm thinking probably fondant for the top and bottom. What makes that type of silver color? Would it be better to use fondant or rolled bc for the can itself? How do I get that Dr Pepper color? And those reddish looking bubbles and stripe? What would you suggest I use to get those?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Diana

5 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 6

I've never done a cake such as this, but I'll give you a bump. Good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 6

actually relatively easy cake.

just a stacked tier cake --- it's just that all the tiers are the same size.

so...back what ever size round you want -- I'd do 6 inch.

then if you do 6 layers -- that makes 3 - four inch tiers

each tier on a cake board

dowel just like a stacked cake with dowels between each tier to support and one large dowel all the way through.

then wrap in fondant or cover in BC

add a lip up top for top edge of can.

make pull tab out of gumpaste

get an edible image of the can label and put on
OR
print out image of label on rice paper and put that on
OR
print out image IN REVERSE and do a Chocolate transfer or FBCT and put that on
OR
print out image on regular paper and cut it up to use as pattern to cut out fondant pieces to put on can
OR
print out image on regular paper and poke holes along the lines to create a stencil. Place on cake and rub coloring gel through holes (use same color as design will be) to create an outline on cake and then fill in with icing.

The silver color is silver luster dust -- very easy to use. just mix w/ lemon extract or vodka or everclear to a paint consistency and paint it on.

hhcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhcakes Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:22am
post #4 of 6

Just like Doug indicated...."it's a piece of cake" lol He's right they are easy to do and look impressive. I use four 8" cakes with a separation in the middle. For me, the 8" is a little more stable. Don't forget to dowel through the center so they don't shift when they're transported. Have fun!

Bwana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bwana Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:33am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for all of the help! Doug - you rock!!

Diana

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 9:52am
post #6 of 6

Follow the stacking suggestions already posted, but I did a Dr. Pepper cake and the colors were a trial and error, but I got the colors right. One suggestion....do the OLD Dr. Pepper can!! Unless you're doing an edible transfer! The new can is so hard to do in BC! At least for me.
Someone on this site did an old can and it looks great! Good luck. Don't ya love our little supporters when they volunteer us?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%