Flecks Of Color In Bc

Decorating By VannaD Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm by VannaD

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 15

I posted this in the recipe section and didnt get any responses, so Ill post it here. I made my 1st batch of crusting BC icing and though it is delicious, I have a problem. I added yellow color to it to make it a light yellow and if you look at it closely you you can see that the icing isnt really yellow but it has yellow flecks in it. The recipe says dont over mix so I tried not to but is it possible I didnt mix enough? Could it be something else? PLEASE HELP!

14 replies
avenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avenje Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 15

Does is look like dots of liquid? Sometimes gel colors are hard to mix with buttercream b/c of the fat/oil content in the buttercream. It's hard emulsify since water and oil don't mix. I used to have that problem until I started using liquid candy colors instead. I buy them on Pfeil & Holing. Liquid candy colors were recommended in the Whimsical Bakehouse Book. I only use the regular color pastes/gels for small amounts. I found the that "dots" only happenend when I was mixing large batches of frosting. They would creep out after my cake was already frosted.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 15

I don't know what your recipe was, but I don't think you can overmix most BC's ... but you can mix it too fast getting too many air bubbles in it. I'd try to mix it a little longer at a slow speed and see what happens. Anytime I have color separation, I correct it by mixing.

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 15

I had this problem once when I used old Wilton colors that were a little gummy rather than gel like. I had lots of blue flecks in the BC. If they are not really fresh they will leave lots of specks in the frosting no matter how much you mix it. I don't know if that is the problem for you.
I no longer use Wilton and have not had a problem since.

VannaD Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 15

I havent had a chance to mix it more but it now loooks different. Its almost like the butter is melting and seperating. Its been in the fridge, should I remix it then freeze it until i need it? it still taste good!

VannaD Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 15

If anyones reading i added more powder sugar, mixed it some more and it seems to be ok. We will see what it looks like tomorrow

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 15

I bet you used paste colors, right? This is common w/pastes. That is one reason many of the companies are now making liquid gels.
Your paste is probably on the dry side. Yellow tends to be.....add some glycerin to the paste bottle and using a toothpick stir it up well. You might have to stir the color anytime you want to use it.
Glad to see you mixed it more. Most of those recipes - Wilton's Class icing? - tell you not to overmix but I always mixed mine on low (KA mixer) for 15-20 minutes for a super smooth icing.

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:02pm
post #8 of 15

The Whimsical Bakehouse book also says to use high-ratio shortening to prevent this problem.

VannaD Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #9 of 15

OK, so it set in the fridge over night and sure enough it seperated AGAIN! I also made another batch and its seperating, but not as fast. Yikes! Is this going to happen when I put it on my cake? I used the Crusting BC off this site. What is high-ratio shortening? I used Liquid gel, I think? Its kind of old though, does that matter? Thanks Ladies!

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 15

I'm not sure exactly "what" high-ratio shortening is, but I know that I had to get it from a baker's supply store. It's not something you can get in the grocery store. It also only came in 50lb. cubes. It's about $60 for a box of it.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 15

Vanna, you may not be able to salvage that batch but in the future: I mix my gel colors with a small amount of shortening in a small bowl BEFORE adding it to the whole batch. Probably a tablespoon of shortening to a teaspoon of gel color, mix well until completely blended, then add to the batch of bc.

I have since ordered the powdered colors and oil based colors, but I have lots of gel to use up!

Oh, high-ratio shortening can absorb more sugar and liquid than regular shortening. It gives a finer and smoother texture to cakes and help keep them moist, as well as keeps icings more stable. The bc made with HR shortening feels/tastes better than the greasy crisco type shortenings. I just started using it (bought it online) and it really does make a lighter/tastier bc.

I got Sweetex (high-ratio shortening) at http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/ for $1.89 lb.

VannaD Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:34am
post #12 of 15

Well thanks again everyone! Also I left some of the seperating icing in a bowl on my counter(after remixing) for a couple of days and it didnt seperate. I have to icing the cakes tomorrow. what to do? Should i mix my good batch with my seperating batch and put it on the cake? Or should i just try to use the good batch for the whole cake? IDK, like i said i left some on the counter and it didnt seperate, could it have something to do with being put in the fridge?

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 15

Vanna, maybe you could use the first batch for filing between the layers of the cake and your newest batch for the top. The top is what you're concerned with looking it's best.

Good luck...I'm sure it will all turn out great thumbs_up.gif

VannaD Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:51pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks Guys. Well I decorated the cake on Sunday, I mixed the 2 batches so I would have enough for the cakes. Evrthing was going good untill my crumb coat started melting off the cakes (it was in the refridgerator). My DH asked if I left anything out and I said I didnt use merinque powder bc i didnt think i need it since we were indoors(it says use when humid). he looked at me like I was nuts, "we live in La. it's alwasy humid, even inside, even in the fridge" he tells me. So I sent him out for merinque powder, he came back with cream of tarter, says he couldnt find any merinque powder and the lady at the 3rd, yes 3rd, said use cream of tartar. I mix it into the icing cover all the cakes with it and went well. It didnt come out as smooth as I wanted and was still melting a little if left out too long. The cake is in my photos and I think it cameout ok, remember its just my 1st so dont be too crittical!

VannaD Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 15

I did another cake yesterday and tried a new BC, it held up way better and it was easier to smooth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%