Am I Being Selfish And Self Serving Here?

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 13 Dec 2006 , 3:24pm by 2sdae

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 37

O.K I am making 3 stacked cakes for 3 different family get togethers. 1 for christmas eve, one christmas day and one for day after christmas. All 8 in. double layers with 6 inch double layer stacked. I have already come up with 3 diffrent designs for each.

1. All white fondant with edible gold pearls and holly all around. Red ribbon on bottom of each tier.

2. Iced in winter blue with white fondant snowflakes with R.I. snowflakes centerpiece on top and silver edible pearls. R. I. snowballs on bottom of tier for border.

3. Deep midnight blue fondant dusted with midnight blue luster dust with a simple pattern of north star on top and intermitten edible dregees all around in gold, with a simple gold ribbon on bottom of each tier.

`
Here is my question, A "well meaning family member" after hearing my plans nicely said "Well, do you think you reallly want to cover any of those in fondant since some people don't like fondant?" "They might not want to eat it then."
Now, I am doing these cakes for the experiences and design possibilities it represents to me as well as getting a kick out of the "wow" factor. I am paying for all the supplies and am doing on my own time, which I don't have much of as I have a 13 yr.old and 2 yr.old. I volunteerd to do it, and don't expect any reimbursment. Plus I really want to decorate and there is no better way to learn than to do. But now this person came along and I am wondering if I am being a little selfish by insisting on doing it by my design and ideas? icon_confused.gif

36 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:17pm
post #2 of 37

Go ahead and use the fondant.

I always put a generous layer of buttercream under my fondant so the those who don't like fondant can just peel it off and still have some icing.

Nobody has to eat the fondant if they don't want to, and you can still make the designs you'd planned.

They sound beautiful! Good luck.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 37

No, I don't think so. The person hasn't ordered the cakes and isn't paying for it. Explain your reasons for doing the cakes and then mention that there will be buttercream under the fondant; for those who don't like fondant, they can just peel it off. Then everyone is happy.

ang_ty95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ang_ty95 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 37

I don't think you are being selfish at all. I know fondant is not a fan of many however, they don't have to eat it, they could just peel it off. Make the cakes for the fun, experience and to add to your portfolio. Next time don't mention your idea and just surprise everyone.

I myself am making black cake for Christmas and I opened my big mouth to my mother and she said don't bother with the almond paste or royal icing this year. All I said is - this is my treat and my hobby so I'll make what I want.

2sdae Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 37

I was thinking I would deff put generous buttercream underneath for that very reason.....but I just didn't wanna seem like an icon_evil.gif

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 37

No, you're not being selfish. You are doing this for the experience you will gain. You are doing it for the practice. And you are doing it out of the goodness of your heart.

You are under no obligation to provide any of these cakes to anyone if I understand your question correctly. So to the family CLOD who asked you the question, you can say, "if you would prefer not to eat the fondant, you really don't have to have a piece."

Or you can say, "perhaps you'd prefer to do this yourself since you seem to have all the time in the world to criticize my plans."

Or you can smile and know that you are just fine here. Frankly, I would love it if someone else in the family took responsibility to do something like that, but no one else has the talent to do so or the time to do it in. So, we go without. And that is your other option.

Enjoy your designs. They sound really very nice. And enjoy the reactions you will get; your family is sure to be very grateful (with, obviously, one exception). And have a great holiday with those kids; they're only this age one time.

Happy Baking. Happy Holidays,

Odessa

klacrawford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klacrawford Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 37

/sigh sounds like someone in my family. Are we related? lol I agree totally with hollypj. You have two kids you couldnt possibly be selfishicon_smile.gif I would just be grateful that you are doing all the cakes and you cant and wont be able to please everyone. Make some cake balls out of your scraps and shove them in anyones mouth that doesnt want to eat your fondant or peel it off! icon_smile.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 37

When I make cakes for the family, there's an unwritten rule that you get what I want to practice, I don't take orders for free cakes...unless it's your birthday! icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:27pm
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I was thinking I would deff put generous buttercream underneath for that very reason.....but I just didn't wanna seem like an icon_evil.gif

be careful in putting to much buttercream underneath as your fondant can slide.

and I'm of the mind...

Don't like it ...don't eat it! end of story.

No need to get snippy..hurt...or anything.

You're not being selfish.

If being selfish is trying to improve your skills so you become a better decorator..and in the process bring happiness to your customers and money to your household....THEN SO BE IT!

joanmary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanmary Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 37

I agree. Use a generous layer of BC, MMF, and ignore the naysayer!

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 37

Almost everyone likes buttercream so if they are going to turn their nose up at your efforts, they can just peel off your beautiful decorations and eat what's left instead. Good luck!

Horselady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Horselady Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 37

Everyone always brings "stuff" to our family get togethers. Sometimes I don't like what someone brings, I just don't eat it. Not their fault, other people there like it and eat it....You can't make everyone happy. Your first mistake was telling them what you were doing, it just opens you up to criticism, you don't need that. All you have to say is "I'm bringing a cake." If you were bringing apple pie and a few people (1 in 10) didn't like apple pie, but liked cherry instead, would you feel bad? I sure wouldn't.

Do what you want, it is YOUR gift to the family/event, if you do it out of the goodness of your heart (and because you want to try a style) then that should be good enough. We have a lot of diabetics in my family, I made a double chocolate bombe cake for Thanksgiving,,,,,they couldn't have it if they were diabetic....I still made it, (but I also made sugar free apple dumplings for the people who are diabetic...).

CupCake13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake13 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 37

Hon, you're bringing FREE delicious cakes - and dessert for 3 nights. Tell the well-meaning busy body to mind her own and offer for her to make dessert instead...

And then donate your cake(s) to the local hospital or something where staff has to work that night.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 37

2sdae question back at ya......at a potluck do you eat everything people bring?

I didn't think so.......design away and post the fabulous pictures.

As for the "well meaning" family member, "forget about it." And if ya want to be a smarty pants, tell the "well meaning" family member ya didn't ask them for their opinion!

2sdae Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by klacrawford

/sigh sounds like someone in my family. Are we related? lol I agree totally with hollypj. You have two kids you couldnt possibly be selfishicon_smile.gif I would just be grateful that you are doing all the cakes and you cant and wont be able to please everyone. Make some cake balls out of your scraps and shove them in anyones mouth that doesnt want to eat your fondant or peel it off! icon_smile.gif

I was thinking shove them in their face.... icon_evil.gif ,hehehehehe!
And yes, this is a practise thing and HOOEY ON THEM WHO SCOFF!

I will deff post pics of these....will they be in disasters or other.......only time will tell. icon_biggrin.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:40pm
post #16 of 37

You are making free cakes. Do whatever you want for the design. I always take the oportunity to do something I've been dying to try when I do a free cake. Let them know that there is buttercream under the fondant. If you are making your own they just might like the fondant too, in a thin layer. Follow your first mind and do what you love. There is nothing like having a design in your head and making it come to life.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 37

Your plans sound beautiful. I can't wait to see pictures.

Keep your plans.

As a side note, I think a lot of people have a mental block about fondant when they have never tried it (or tried a cheap, yucky tasting brand).
I am finding more and more people that are developing a taste for fondant. I use Satin Ice. That and MMF are really pretty good.

Cindy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:52pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

....Or you can say, "perhaps you'd prefer to do this yourself since you seem to have all the time in the world to criticize my plans.".....

HAHAHAHA!!! This one gets my vote! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 3:53pm
post #19 of 37

My rule with the family is...I'm doing the cake out of the generousity and love that is in my heart...for FREE...I'll do what I want to do. I ALWAYS take advantage of these opportunities to experiment and add new art to my portfolio. The fondant is more expensive and time consuming, but also very elegant and beautiful. So you're willing to put yourself out to make something really special for those you love. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY THE POLAR OPPOSITE OF SELFISH!!! You could just bring a plain iced cake, but your not. I make fondant cakes all the time and we just eat around it, and everyone loves the cake. I can't wait to see your pictures! And once again, as everyone else has told you don't worry about the busy body. Everyone will be wowed with your creations.

Dennysse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dennysse Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:34pm
post #20 of 37

OMG I think we have the very same family tree...icon_wink.gif Your cakes are your talent,effort and creativity.And you ideas are beautiful, just go with them. I am starting with cake decorating and making cakes just for family and friends,so I like to practice a lot.I have two sistersicon_surprised.gifne eats my cakes even If I make one every day,the other said she was tired of my practice cakes.I just told her "dont like them,dont eat them".You love them (family) but doesnt have to agree with them all the time.You are doing this with your heart and love for them, dont worry about only one person opinion. And I agree with crp7 about the satinice and MMF.Just try to make the fondant thinner and a good layer of BC for the one who dont like it.That works for me
all the time.Good luck and cant wait to see your creations...

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 37

2sdae, Not to take away from what you've already decided on but have you thought about using Marshmallow Fondant instead of regular fondant? That way you can tell them it's a different type of fondant and to taste it and if they still don't like it they are welcome to peal it off but you could suggest to them that it does taste delicious if they'd only give it a try icon_wink.gif

Otherwise do as you wish, you are making them as a favor so no one else has to do it, and no one has to buy them, if they don't like it tell em to shove it icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:14pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

A "well meaning family member" after hearing my plans nicely said "Well, do you think you really want to cover any of those in fondant since some people don't like fondant?" "They might not want to eat it then."

Every family has a "well meaning family member" who will tell a truth she/he thinks you need to hear. It may well be one or a dozen of your relatives do dislike fondant. Either way just make a general announcement that peeling fondant off the cake is allowed, no bones broken- that you aren't insulted if people don't eat it. If someone asks why you use it, just explain that it is the currant style in cake decorating, and you enjoy having an opportunity to hone your skills on non-commercial cakes.

2sdae Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 5:46pm
post #23 of 37

icon_lol.gif You guys always crack me up!!!! All these shove it references!!!! icon_lol.gif
I am using santin ice and MMF so they will be able to taste each. And if they do not care for it..... thumbs_up.gif I am just excited to be bringing to life my ideas I have in my head. Boy...there sure do seem to be alot floating around in here!!! birthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gifbirthday.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 6:59pm
post #24 of 37

Is my MIL visiting your family? That sounds like what she tried to tell me about my sister's wedding cake, a wedding she wasn't even attending. icon_confused.gif

Some people just can't help telling you how to do things, next time this person says something tell her that the next time you want her opinion you'll go to her booth and give her a quarter.

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:11pm
post #25 of 37

Do what YOU want. It's the thought that counts and besides, you're not hurting anyone. thumbs_up.gif

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 8:20pm
post #26 of 37

I guess there's one of "those" in every family!!! I certainly don't think it's selfish of you to give your family stunning cake designs every night for 3 nights. You go for it & I can't wait to see the pictures!

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:00pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

....The fondant is more expensive and time consuming, but also very elegant and beautiful. .... we just eat around it, and everyone loves the cake.

Okay, so I now have a question and this statement brings it to mind: IF fondant is now the "standard" by which everyone's cakes are being compared/judged by society, AND it's more expensive and time consuming, AND "we just eat around it", then why are we using it?????

I don't mean to criticize, but I've been trying to find this out for a long time. It doesn't make sense to me (maybe because I perceive it as a colossol waste of $$$ - put something on the cake that we're just going to peel off and not eat??? Huh????? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif )

Am I just missing something here? Please, someone enlighten me!!!

Thank you,

Odessa

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 10:57pm
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aobodessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

....The fondant is more expensive and time consuming, but also very elegant and beautiful. .... we just eat around it, and everyone loves the cake.

Okay, so I now have a question and this statement brings it to mind: IF fondant is now the "standard" by which everyone's cakes are being compared/judged by society, AND it's more expensive and time consuming, AND "we just eat around it", then why are we using it?????

I don't mean to criticize, but I've been trying to find this out for a long time. It doesn't make sense to me (maybe because I perceive it as a colossol waste of $$$ - put something on the cake that we're just going to peel off and not eat??? Huh????? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif )

Am I just missing something here? Please, someone enlighten me!!!

Thank you,

Odessa

It looks cool! icon_smile.gif

(And about 1/2 the people I know do eat the fondant, so it's not all thrown away.)

Nobody eats gumpaste flowers, either, but they add a lot to a cake.

Cake decorating is about art as well as food.

Personally I love working with both buttercream and fondant (not to mention ganache). They all have their place.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 12 Dec 2006 , 11:01pm
post #29 of 37

I like it...!!

like working with it and like the taste of it..

2sdae Posted 13 Dec 2006 , 12:03am
post #30 of 37

I love the look, the versitility and the possibilities of fondant. I like the taste of MMF and satin ice. I hate wilton brand...YUCK! I love the artistic advantages you can utilize of the gumpaste and fondant over buttercream and ganache. But I truely just love the being able to bring to life what I see in my head...whatever that maybe. I also want to try to stretch the envelope into as many mediums as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%